|Student IT Home||Connecting to the Internet||Student Printing||Software Assistance||Computer Labs||Student Desktop|
About Student IT
- Student IT Advisors are based in the Central Library on the University of Otago's Dunedin campus. We can help you with all your computer needs on campus.
- We have 30 or more areas with desktop computers and wireless (WiFi) access around campus.
- We can help you get your laptop/tablet/smartphone onto our WiFi network and visit you in any computer area if you need help.
- For more information take a look at our Student IT Handbook 2015 Edition here or pick one up from a library.
- You can find more online help on our Tipsheets and Handouts page.
Getting Direct Help from Student IT
Online: Chat with a Student IT Advisor online
Phone: 03 479 5170
In person: see a Student IT Advisor at the Student IT desk, located in the Central Library on the University's Dunedin campus.
Semester hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am - 9pm; Weekends 10am - 9pm
Holiday hours: Student IT Advisors are located in the Central Library whilst it is open. See the Library's webpage for Central Library hours.
The Student Desktop
We now have a new Student Desktop. It runs in all the student computer labs on campus and can also be accessed from your laptop. It has a number of advantages over the old one:
- Windows 7
- Faster Logins
- Accessible from anywhere at www.otago.ac.nz/studentdesktop
- Access to 1TB of Cloud Storage
- Access Course Specific Software from your Laptop
You can also request software such as TextHelp and Publish or Perish. See our software page for more details.
Summer computer Lab Closures
- Central CAL (bottom of Richardson Building)
- North CAL (Opposite Science library)
- Rabel/Mcgregor CAL (next to Leith Liquor)
will be closed for the rest of the year. This is for maintenance and power saving.
- Enterprise and Tower
- West CAL
will remain open 24/7 and the others will be open building hours.
Publish or Perish
Publish or Perish is a software program that uses Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search to obtain raw citations and analyse them. This information can be used to assess the impact of research.
- Publish or Perish is free to download to your Windows personal computer
- If you have a Mac, follow these download instructions
- Fill out this form to get Publish or Perish installed on your student computer account
New since July 2015 - Install a print driver (mPrint)
You download the print driver, install it and then one of your print options will be to print to the University. Remember to choose your location and operating system.
Knox Salmond Internet setup tip sheets
Knox and Salmond students connect to the Internet in a slightly different way than other areas on campus. (The instructions for Salmond are more or less the same as for Knox, so Salmond people can just follow the Knox information).
Microsoft Office 365 is available free to students
Help with connecting your devices to University WiFi
Click on the Connecting to the Internet tab at the top of this page
Can't login to your student email account?
More online help
For more help please see our Frequently Asked Questions (or look on the top right of the screen)
For a guide on what Student IT can do for you, watch this short video.
IT Training Student Courses
Subsidised Student Courses
- Subsidised courses (to you $10, normally $110!) in Word, Excel, R, Endnote and SPSS
- Word for Thesis (Advanced Word training) on-line tutorials courtesy of IT Training
- Endnote on-line tutorials courtesy of IT Training