Student IT Help
|Student IT Home||Connecting to the Internet||Student Printing||Software Assistance||Computer Labs||Student Desktop|
About Student IT
- Student IT Advisors are based in the Central Library on the University of Otago's Dunedin campus. We can help you with all your computer needs on campus.
- We have 30 or more areas with desktop computers and wireless (WiFi) access around campus.
- We can help you get your laptop/tablet/smartphone onto our WiFi network and visit you in any computer area if you need help.
- For more information pick up a copy of the 2015 Student IT Handbook from the library or read it here.
- You can find more online help on our Tipsheets and Handouts page.
The Student Desktop
We now have a new Student Desktop as of 2015. It runs in all the student computer labs on campus and can also be accessed from your laptop. It has a number of advantages over the old one:
- Windows 7
- Faster Logins
- Accessible from anywhere at www.otago.ac.nz/studentdesktop
- Access to 1TB of Cloud Storage
- Access Course Specific Software from your Laptop
For a guide on getting started with the new Student Desktop on your Laptop, watch the following short video.
Knox Salmond Internet setup Tipsheets
Knox and Salmond students connect to the Internet in a slightly different way than other areas on campus. (The instructions for Salmond are more or less the same as for Knox, so Salmond people can just follow the Knox information)
Here are the setup instructions you may need
Microsoft Office 365 is available free to students.
Help with connecting your devices to University WiFi
Click on the Connecting to the Internet tab at the top of this page
Can't login to your student email account?
More on-line Help
For more help please see our Frequently Asked Questions (or look on the top right of the screen)
Getting Direct Help from Student IT
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone -03 479 5170
In person - see a Student IT Advisor at the Student IT desk, located in the Central Library on the University's Dunedin campus.For a guide on what Student IT can do for you, watch this short video.
Semester hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am - 9pm; Weekends 10am - 9pm
Holiday hours: Student IT Advisors are located in the Central Library whilst it is open. Outside of the Central Library hours, they will be located in the Burns computer lab. See the Library's webpage for Central Library hours.
IT Training Student Courses
Subsidised Student Courses
- Subsidised courses (to you $10, normally $110!) in Word, Excel, R, Endnote and SPSS