View Fullsize Image
(Opens in new window)
The Albion press, built in London in 1845 by Hopkinson and Cope, no. 2245, had previously belonged to Crown Print, Dunedin. It may have been used by Henry Graham, the first printer in Otago. This poster, one of the first items that Maslen and Esplin printed, reveals Graham’s importance. On 24 November 1848 he issued a prospectus for the Otakou News, later renamed the Otago News, the forerunner of the Otago Daily Times. In December 2005, and in recognition of this historical link, the Bibliography Room was re-named the Otakou Press.
‘On September 21, Henry B. Graham…’. Press Room, English Department, University of Otago, 1961