The Book of Common Prayer
On the 6th February 1551, an injunction was passed by Edward VI to have the English Book of Common Prayer read in Irish churches. This was validated again when the Irish Act of Uniformity was passed in 1560. Fines were imposed for non-use, and frequent refusal often led to life imprisonment. An Irish translation of the Book of Common Prayer was printed in Dublin in 1608, and revisions occurred in 1878, 1926 and 1933. The December Calendar displayed is from the printed version of the 'Manuscript Book of Common Prayer' of 1551, originally annexed to Statute 17 & 18. Car. II c. 6 (Dublin, Ireland).