Looking to pursue your interest in Management to the highest level?
The University of Otago offers a PhD in Management. This is awarded on the basis of the submission of a research thesis. To provide support, and help you to connect with your peers, the University also provides a dedicated social and academic candidate networking programme for PhD students.
Find out more about studying for a PhD in Management:
Find out about the services and support available to our students.
A PhD thesis in Management should demonstrate:
- Evidence of your ability to carry out quality research
- That you have shown originality and independence
- That you have made a significant contribution to knowledge in the particular field
The study is one which a diligent and competent student might reasonably be expected to complete within three years full-time or six years part-time, and the resulting thesis should be worthy of publication.
Read the Department of Management PhD Orientation Information (PDF, 306KB)
The standard requirement for undertaking a PhD in the Department of Management is a good quality Research Master’s Degree with a significant research component (i.e. at least two semesters full-time study) or equivalent.
In making a decision about whether to accept you as a postgraduate student, the Department will not only take into account your academic record and potential for research, but whether your topic is one for which we can find appropriate supervisors.
Explore the research interests of Department of Management staff.
To apply for supervision please email all of the following:
- A completed application form (Word, 80KB)
- A copy of your curriculum vitae
- A short paper (2-4 pages) indicating your initial ideas for your PhD study, outlining possible research questions and referring to the more significant works in the area
- Verified copies of your academic qualifications, including the curricula followed in your individual courses at your university with grades, and the title(s) of any previous research projects.
- Evidence of your English language proficiency (if applicable)
Please note: this application is for consideration for supervision in the Department of Management only, and is preliminary to your application to the University, which is made separately after the Department has agreed to provide supervision. Acceptance by the Department does not mean acceptance by the University.
Initial enquiries should be directed to the Department’s Postgraduate and Research Administrator:
Applications are invited from individuals interested in studying for a PhD in Management at the University of Otago. The University of Otago is committed to research excellence. This is reflected in quality of our academic programmes, and in the Scholarship Programme we offer.
Who are we?
In the Department of Management we are an enthusiastic team of researchers who engage with a broad range of social, economic and political issues that influence organisations and management. We are committed to driving our research agendas forward, motivating ourselves and others and interacting with our research students.
As a Department, we strive to empower our students’ ongoing personal and academic growth through departmental activities such as:
- Encouraging participation in our research seminar series
- Tutoring our under-graduates
- Developing network opportunities in New Zealand and internationally
About our work
PhD supervisors are keen to engage with potential and energetic students who are interested in the following areas:
- Leadership and Strategy
- Sustainable Business Management
- Human Resource Management and Employment Relations
- Performance Measurement in the Health Sector
- Indigenous and/or Maori Development
- Social Aspects of Technology within Organizations
- International Management
Who are you?
You are passionate about the study of Management, and committed to undertaking high-quality research. You want to be an integral part of our Department’s research community.
Ideally, you should hold a Masters Degree by Research or be able to demonstrate research capability through recognised research output.
Read further information on studying for a PhD at the University of Otago.
Take a look at what other PhD candidates in the Department are studying.
The University of Otago accepts applications and entry throughout the year. Applicants can apply for a University of Otago Doctoral scholarship worth up to NZ$20,000 per annum plus a tuition fee waiver.
Has the Department of Management agreed to provide supervision for your thesis? Then you’re ready to apply to the University of Otago for acceptance into the PhD programme.