Te Huka Mātauraka Māori Centre
Frank Edwards Kaitakawaeka Māori/Māori Community Liaison Officer, Pearl Matahiki Tumuaki / Manager, Vicky Totoro Kaitohutohu Māori/Māori Councellor, Tammi Kara Kaiwhakahaere / Administrator/Personal Assistant, Graham Green Kaitohutohu Māori/Māori Councellor, Arihia Joseph Kaituitui Mātauraka Māori/Māori Student Support Coordinator and Siu Montgomery Tūraka Hou/Kā Rikarika a Tāne Coordinator / Orientation and Mentoring Coordinator
The Māori Centre is a place dedicated to tauira Māori students (all students of Māori descent) which aims to encourage iwi Māori to participate and succeed in tertiary education. The Māori Centre offers support for academic, cultural and social needs from pre-enrolment through to graduation and operates from a kaupapa Māori base (Māori philosophy).
Te Roopū Māori
Te Roopū Māori is the University of Otago’s Māori Students’ Association which represents all Māori students on campus. Te Roopū Māori is a parallel student association to the Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) and can be found just north of the Māori Centre at 527 Castle Street North.
Tel: +64 3 479 8563
The Whānau Guide is a resource for whānau, as well as students who intend to come south to study at the University of Otago. Leaving the warm support of whānau, friends and familiar surroundings can be hard, both for students and the ones they leave behind. But here at Otago, we aim to provide the support and care necessary to ensure students study hard, enjoy life and develop in ways that will enrich the lives of everyone around them.
Download your copy of the Whānau Guide (PDF format, 1.9MB)
Kaiāwhina Māori (Divisional Māori Student Support)
Division of Sciences
Division of Humanities
Division of Health Sciences
School of Business
Kaiārahi Māori/Māori Student Support
Tel: +64 3 479 5342
Kaitohutohu Tāuira Māori, Postgraduate Adviser
Pete Russell is the contact person for Māori Post Graduate students. Pete can provide information and support, advocate on your behalf, and connect you with programmes and research hui that may assist your postgraduate study.
Contact Pete Russell
Māori Student Groups and Associations
- Māori Postgraduate Students’ Association
- Māori Commerce Students’ Association - Te Tai Tuara
- Divison of Sciences Māori Support Services
- Māori Studies Students’ Association (Te Tumu) - Ngā Kaiaru Māori
- Psychology Students’ Association - Te Kohanga Māori
- Māori Medical Students’ Association - Māori Medical Students’ Association - Te Oranga ki Otakou
- Ngā Mokai o Ngā Whetu – Māori Dental Students’ Association
- Māori Law Students' Association - Te Whai Putake
- Māori Social Work Students’ Association - Ka Uri o Tāne Whakapiripiri
- Māori Zoology Students’ Association