An Honours degree is a great option for high-achieving students
The Bachelor of Commerce with Honours (Majoring in Marketing Management) is a one year postgraduate programme. The degree involves intensive study, culminating with the completion of a research dissertation.
The benefits for honours graduates include:
- Enhanced employment opportunities. Employers look more favourably on honours graduates, as they have demonstrated the ability to study at an advanced level.
- Preparation for higher study. An honours degree provides you with a taste of postgraduate study. It provides an excellent grounding for higher study, and many honours graduates go on to Master’s or PhD programmes.
- Invaluable research skills – both in academia, and in the workplace. Our honours degree gives you a chance to develop academic and practical research skills through the completion of a large individual research dissertation. Besides preparing students for postgraduate work (such as MCom or PhD) the research skills gained in honours are highly desirable for graduates considering careers in areas such as market research, consultancy, policy and other industry-based analysis roles.
Entrance requirements for a BCom (Hons) majoring in Marketing Management
Entrance to honours is competitive. It’s based on grades in your previous papers. You should aim for at least a B+ average in Marketing papers if you’re serious about getting in.
Students who have completed an undergraduate degree majoring in Marketing at another University (with at least a B+ average in 300-level Marketing papers) are encouraged to apply for admission to an honours degree at the University of Otago.
Admission to BCom(Hons)
Applications for Honours should be received by 10 December in the year prior to enrolment, however late applications may be accepted after this date. Applications need to be made through the online enrolment system, e:Vision.
Need more information about studying for a BCom (Hons) in Marketing Management?
For further information on studying for a BCom(Hons) majoring in Marketing Management, please take a look at the:
- Programme requirements for a Bachelor of Commerce with Honours
- Bachelor of Commerce with Honours course structure diagram (97.1KB)
Please contact the Honours Coordinator (Associate Professor Lisa McNeill) for further information about our honours programme.
Tel: +64 3 479 5758
Office: Room 4.39, Commerce Building