Genetics makes you what you are. It is the study of genes and inheritance.
Modern society depends on genetics. It is important in health and disease, food and nutrition, conservation, plant and animal breeding, through to justice, history, and sociology.
Why study Genetics?
Genetics is a rapidly progressing science and a central theme of modern biology. It is an indispensable component of most biological research.
Genetics teaches you about:
- The molecular basis of life
- The role of genetics in the study of whole organisms, populations, and evolution
- Topics such as genetic engineering, cloning, and your own health
- World class research in the field
More information about studying Genetics
Download the Genetics infosheet (PDF 150 KB) for more information about the following:
- Study outline
- Further study
- Background required
- Papers to take for a BSc degree
- How to combine a genetics degree with other subjects
- Career opportunities
Please contact Genetics Otago for further details: