The department fosters a strong research culture, conducting a depth and range of world class research in a vibrant international centre of learning.
Staff Research Expertise
Click through to profiles and exemplary publications of staff, postgraduate research students and alumni.
- Dr Michael Bourk – Cultural and media analysis of issues, events, and cultural groups; Public policy rhetoric and narratives; framing analysis.
- Assoc. Prof. Vijay Devadas – critical theory, postcolonial theory, cultural studies; Indian and Asian media/cinema.
- Dr Kevin Fisher – Film and Media, Phenomenology and Critical Theory, Science Fiction, Documentary.
- Assoc. Prof. Catherine Fowler – Intermedia; The film/art axis of influence; Women filmmakers; European and experimental cinemas.
- Dr Brett Nicholls – Media and Communication, Critical Theory, Contemporary Marxism, Postcolonialism.
- Dr Rosemary Overell – cultural and media studies; music and popular culture; gender, Asian studies.
- Dr Erika Pearson – Digital content and copyright issues, new and transmedia issues, augmented reality, and mobile device usage.
- Dr Paul Ramaeker – Film history, contemporary cinema, film and television form and aesthetics, genre and authorship in film and television.
- Dr Holly Randell-Moon – Critical and cultural theory, critical race and whiteness studies, gender and sexuality studies, visual culture and communication, media, religion and politics.
- Dr Hugh Slotten – History of Science and Technology, Media History and History of Communications.
- Dr Davinia Thornley – Audience/Reception studies and methodology; Cultural studies; Indigenous media; National media; Aotearoa/New Zealand cinema.
Media, Film and Communication, in conjunction with other Universities and research networks, is involved in organising and hosting a number of different conferences. Read more
Click through to see the publications, projects and work undertaken by Media, Film and Communication scholars
Visit the Media, Film and Communication department's flagship journal for research on media, culture and society