Dr Robert Burns
Senior Lecturer in Contemporary Music Performance
PhD (Otago), FLCM, BA (Hons), FHEA (UK)
Joined the staff in 2001
Tel 64 3 479 8444
- Nationalism in popular and folk music
- Popular music performance (jazz and rock)
- Commercial composition
- Music industry
- Popular music iconography
- The digitisation of recording and distribution of popular music
- Popular music performance
- David Harrison BMus (Hons), MA, is now a Teaching Fellow in Guitar at the Music Department and is commencing his Doctor of Musical Arts degree.
- Sam Browne BMus is a member of Black River Drive, a band that recently achieved the number one position in the New Zealand music charts.
- Michael Holland MA is now studying for a DMA in studio production techniques and is a busy record producer in NZ.
Other Musical and Community Activities
- Memberships in The Performing Right Society, Mensa, the English Folk Dance and Song Society, the International Council for Traditional Music, the International Society for the Study of Popular Music.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- As a professional musician, my career spans four decades. It includes performing with David Gilmour, Pete Townsend, Jon Lord and Ian Paice, Sam and Dave, Isaac Hayes, Eric Burdon, The Stylistics, Edwin Starr, Ian Carr's Nucleus, Zoot Money's Big Roll Band, Vivian Stanshall, Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Anderson of Abba, Jerry Donahue, Albert Lee and James Burton. I also played on many TV shows such as Mr. Bean, Blackadder, Alas Smith and Jones, Three of a Kind, French and Saunders, The Lenny Henry Show, Not the Nine O'Clock News, 2.4 Children, A Perfect Spy, and Red Dwarf.
- I perform and record with my own jazz/fusion band, Subject2change, and record with the iconic Dunedin band, The Verlaines and with country music songwriter John Egenes. I also perform with the Dunedin and Taieri Operatic Societies and the Dunedin City Jazz Band.