Tuesday, 7 February 2017 10:18pm
Work continues on the year-long redevelopment of the University of Otago Business School building (formerly called the Commerce building).
Visitors to the University of Otago Business School will see some changes as the building’s redevelopment continues to progress – including altered floor numbering.
As well as the physical changes, the redevelopment project has also provided an opportunity for a name change – from the Commerce building to the University of Otago Business School building.
In January floor numbering was changed to align with normal University standards. This means the Atrium at what was level 2 has become the Ground Floor, and the Dean’s office (formerly level 3) is now level 1.
Signage in the entry foyer, on each floor, and in the lifts now shows the new numbering, and visitors are being encouraged to ask for help if they feel lost.
Currently, as part of the redevelopment, the only entrance into the building is the lifts, accessed off Clyde Street. The external access stair to Union Street East is no longer available, except in emergencies.
The Otago Business School building levels 1, 2 and 3 (now LG, G and 1) are being redeveloped to improve the School’s learning environment and building functionality.
The Atrium on the ground level will become the public face of the Commerce Division, incorporating the main entrance to the building. The Dean’s Office as well as teaching and social spaces including a café will also be located on the ground floor. The Atrium roof is being replaced, while the new level 1 will include the Otago MBA (which is based at the College of Education this year).
The year-long redevelopment project, started in September, is progressing well despite the contractors dealing with some challenging summer weather conditions in January.
The crane on-site on Union Street East over December and January has successfully removed glass and the roof trusses from the existing cover over the Atrium roof. This has now finished, allowing installation of the new roof to begin later this month. Union Street East has been a prioritised single lane road for ”essential users only” while the crane has been in place, and pedestrians have been directed to the footpath on north side of the street.
The ground floor (formerly level 2) redevelopment is progressing well; the new Dean’s office is expected to be finished in March. New stairs are also being constructed at present.
Classes have already been relocated to other parts of the University campus during the redevelopment, but Commerce Division staff have remained on-site, with the exception of Executive Programmes.
See the Otago Business School redevelopment weblog site for more detail on the project.
- The entrance at Union Street will be directly from the street (the current level two), and will be much larger, open and more accessible.
- The redeveloped Atrium will be inviting, warm, weather-proof and include a café.
- The existing Atrium roof will be replaced with a solid weather-tight roof incorporating skylights.
- The Dean’s Office will relocate to the ground floor (formerly known as level 2) including the internship office and Pacific Island Student support. Space for COMSA, TTT and Pacific Island Students will be on this level.
- The Otago MBA will relocate into the existing Dean’s Office on the new level 1 and will include teaching space.
- There will still be pool lecture theatres on ground and level 1, as well as more student study spaces.
- The building will be known as the University of Otago Business School.
- Floor numbering changes reflect University building standards.