Achieve your career goals with Otago
Looking ahead to tertiary study? Otago is home to students from over 100 nations around the world. We have a reputation for excellence and are committed to helping you achieve academic success. Get prepared for university – or, if you’re ready, enrol at Otago now!
Made the decision to enrol at Otago?
Great! You can:
- Enrol online now via the main Otago website
- Check out the Guide to Enrolment for detailed information on requirements, qualifications available, and more
- Contact the University’s Freephone Information Line on 0800 80 80 98, or call 64 3 479 7000 from outside New Zealand
Get a ‘second chance’ at gaining university entrance with Foundation Studies. If you missed out on getting NCEA, there is still an opportunity open for you to attend university.
The University of Otago Foundation Year was one of the first to be established in New Zealand (1997). The Foundation Year certificate places a strong emphasis on English language skills and provides the basis for undergraduate degrees in Humanities, Health Sciences, Science and Business. This certificate prepares you socially and academically for university level studies. Upon successful completion of the Foundation Year you have the opportunity to study at any university in New Zealand.
Are you a Pacific school leaver interested in a career in health?
POPO Foundation Scholarship Programme supports young New Zealand Pacific secondary school leavers who are interested in a career in health. It also assists with the transition from school to university. Students in the PFP study the same course as the University of Otago Foundation Year.
The POPO Foundation Programme prepares students for further tertiary study the following year in either Health Sciences First Year (HSFY) or other health-related programmes.
Keen to find out more about studying at Otago? No matter where you live, there is always someone you can talk to about coming to study at Otago.
We recommend you have a chat to:
- Your school careers advisor: always a good person to start with
- University of Otago schools' liaison officers: based in Auckland, Wellington and Dunedin, the liaison officers visit secondary schools throughout the country to introduce the University to school students. They assist with course planning and application forms and are also involved in schools' career evenings. More information for prospective students
- The Pacific Islands Centre: we’re also more than happy to advise you and answer any of your queries about coming to Otago
Even before you begin your tertiary study, there are opportunities available to you as school students:
- Dare to Succeed Programme: special academic mentoring programme set up in 2008 aimed at helping Queen's High School and King's High School Pacifica senior students with their studies. In 2011, Homework Centres have been set up at Otago Boys High School and Logan Park High School along with the opening of a community homework centre for students from other Dunedin schools.
- On Campus Experience Scholarships: For Year 13 students that want to experience life at the University of Otago.
- Hands on Science at Otago Scholarships: For year 12 and 13 students that like science and want to experience student life at the University of Otago.