Pacific at Otago
Your Pacific Home and Family While at Otago
As a student of Pacific descent, you will be well supported when you arrive here at Otago. The University welcomes the diversity Pacific people bring to Otago and supports its Pacific students through a range of networks and support systems.
Coordinating all of the support services available to Pacific students is the Pacific Islands Centre, your home away from home while at Otago. You will be welcomed as a family member and we will make sure that you return to your family and community with your mission accomplished.
- Pacific Islands Centre Support for Pacific Students
- Other Pacific Support on Campus
- Other Student Services and Support at Otago
The Centre was established solely for supporting Pacific students, their families and communities. We are here to assist you in your pursuit of knowledge and to make your journey a smooth and an enjoyable one.
- Academic, Cultural and Pastoral support to Pacific students enrolled at University
- Pacific Outreach Programmes for prospective students (Information and advice on NCEA, course advice, scholarships and homework programmes)
- Community Visits and links with the Pacific community
- Advice and guidance to research students, staff, and community on anything Pacific
There are currently over 750 students with Pacific heritage - both New Zealand- and Island-born - studying at Otago. Come and join them and be part of the Otago Pacific journey, and let us help you to reach your goals.
• COMMERCE PACIFIC ISLANDS’ STUDENT ACADEMIC ADVISOR
Contact: Esmay Eteuati
Office Room 2.16a, level 2 Commerce Building
Tel: 03 479 4756 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• HEALTH SCIENCES ASSOCIATE DEAN PACIFIC & PACIFIC ISLANDS RESEARCH & STUDENT SUPPORT UNIT (PIRSSU)
Contact: Associate Professor Tai Sopoaga
Room G02, 72 Frederick St
Tel: 03 479 8493 / E-mail: email@example.com
• HUMANITIES PACIFIC ISLANDS STUDENTS SUPPORT OFFICER
Contact: Esmay Eteuati
Room 5C9a, 5th Floor, Arts Building, Albany Street
Tel: 03 479 9616 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• PACIFIC DEVELOPMENT, ACADEMIC DIVISION
A Director of Pacific Development was appointed in 2013 to oversee and implement the 2013-2020 Pacific Strategic Framework
Contact: Dr Tasileta Teevale
Tel: 03 479 8604 / E-mail: email@example.com
• PACIFIC FOUNDATION PROGRAMME COORDINATOR
Contact: Talai Mapusua
Language Centre & Foundation Year - University Plaza, Anzac Drive
Tel: 03 479 5256 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• PACIFIC POSTGRADUATE REFERENCE GROUP
This is a support group for students doing postgraduate studies. Students meet monthly to present their work, discuss issues they are having and integrate with their peers in a safe and encouraging environment. This culminates at the end of the year with the Pacific Voices Postgraduate Symposium, where students can present their work to colleagues, staff and the general public.
• PACIFIC STUDENT ASSOCIATIONS
There are also a number of student associations –led and organised by students to provide pastoral and academic support.
• UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO CHRISTCHURCH – ASSOCIATE DEAN PACIFIC
Contact: Dr Kiki Maoate
• UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO PACIFIC CHOIR
Dancing and singing form an important part of the Pacific cultures and identity. The Pacific Choir was established in 2010 to provide mentoring and as a vehicle for students to participate in life on campus through their cultures. The Choir take part in the official University Pacific Welcome and other events around campus and the community. If you want to be part of the University of Otago Pacific Choir please contact: email@example.com
• UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO WELLINGTON – ASSOCIATE DEAN PACIFIC
Contact: Nandika Currey (Days of work: Mon, Thu. Fri)
Tel: 04 806 1498 / 021 477 387 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org