On-Campus Experience for Pacific secondary school students
Each year the Pacific Islands Centre at the University of Otago offers 20 Pacific secondary school students from around New Zealand the opportunity of a lifetime: to experience the University of Otago campus.
2013 APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED - CONGRATULATIONS TO SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS
A big thank you to everyone who applied for our Pacific on Campus Experience Scholarship. The calibre of applications this year was outstanding and you should all be proud of your achievements and to continue to do well at school.
Congratulations to the following scholarship recipients for 2013, we look forward to welcoming you on campus on Sunday, 12th May:
• Adrienne Ellavia Hekau - James Cook High School, Auckland
• C J Sopoaga - Otago Boys High School, Dunedin
• Char Mulitalo - Avondale College, Auckland
• Diandra Punivalu - Rotorua Girls' High School, Rotorua
• Fetuoleaniva Hunkin - Epsom Girls Grammar, Auckland
• Florentina Faiva - Palmerston North Girls' High School, Palmerston North
• Gaioka Joshua Aliifaalogo ,-Onehunga High School , Auckland
• Heidi Ioka - Pakuranga College, Auckland
• Hosea Tapuai - St Bernard's College, Wellington
• Iolenese Lemalie - McAuley High School, Auckland
• Lauren Ah Fook - Marist College, Auckland
• Leilanni-Marie Fruean - St Cuthbert, Auckland
• Lucy Tautogi - Manurewa High School, Auckland
• Manning Reynolds - Kamo High School, Whangarei
• Merllissia Manueli - Wellington Girls' College, Wellington
• Petrina Shelby Siania - Aotea College, Wellington
• Renee Tuifagalele - John Paul College, Rotorua
• Sammy Seau - Verdon College, Invercargill
• Shalom Time-Scrimshaw - St Bernard's College, Wellington
• Siatafu Ioapo - Aorere College, Auckland
• Sussan Matalavea - McAuley High School, Auckland
• Tea Vaeau - Tauranga Girls' College, Tauranga
• Tevita Vaipuna - Hawera High School, Taranaki
• Tuiala Si'u Malu - James Cook High School, Auckland
• Zach Soakai - Edgewater College, Auckland
What is the On-Campus Experience?
- Recipients stay in a University Residential College and attend organised programmes on campus including Otago University Tertiary Information Day
- All expenses (travel, accommodation, programme activities & meals) will be paid for by the Pacific Islands Centre
- The next On-Campus Experience will take place on 12 May to 14 May 2013
Who can apply for the scholarships?
- The scholarships are only available to students of Pacific descent in Year 13 at school
- Applicants must write an essay on the following topic: NCEA - My plan on how to achieve excellence at the end of the year.
The essay should be between 750-1200 words and is to be written in English
- Since this will be during school term, applicants should seek permission to participate in this programme and get a reference from their school principal
- A recent passport sized photograph should be included with the application form and Level 2 NCEA (or alternative) results. A check list is provided with the application form to ensure that you send all information required to process the application
- The panel's decision is final
Apply for the On-Campus Experience for Pacific Secondary School Students
Applications for 2013 are now closed
The dates for the 2013 On Campus Experience are Sunday 12th May - Tuesday 14th May.
Note: Participation in the OCE does not guarantee entrance to the University of Otago or to a Residential College.