The Dunedin Community Exercise Programme (DCEP) is a community exercise initiative run by the School of Physiotherapy and co-funded by Well South Primary Health Network.
What is DCEP?
- A comprehensive 12-week rehabilitation programme for people with Diabetes or Prediabetes aimed at improving your health and wellbeing through exercise and self-management education
- Twice weekly 45-minute exercise session of aerobic and resistance exercise followed by a 45-minute interactive education session
- A supportive, safe and non-judgemental environment to exercise and learn, in a setting shared only with people with similar health conditions
- NO MIRRORS, NO LYCRA!
- Run by a Registered Physiotherapist and a Registered Nurse alongside supervised health professional students.
Is this for me?
Do you want to...
- better understand what diabetes/prediabetes is and how you can manage it more successfully and independently?
- exercise more but can't afford to or can't find a place where you feel safe and comfortable to do so?
- meet other people with similar health complaints and share a journey towards improved quality of life?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then DCEP could be right for you.
Benefits of the programme...
Fun, free, friendly and informative
Get fitter and more confident in how to care for your health and wellbeing
What will happen?
- Following receiving your referral form we will contact your GP for their consent and medical information
- You will be contacted by telephone and posted further information to confirm the start date and time and answer any other questions you many have
- Health assessments will be undertaken to ensure your safety and monitor your health and well-being progress throughout the programme.
Who can attend?
Anyone who has diabetes or risk factors for developing diabetes.
You are welcome to bring a family member, whānau or friend along for support
How to register?
- Referral from your doctor or practice nurse
- Referral from health provider (e.g. Māori or Pacfic Health provider, Green Prescription)
- Complete a referral form yourself
If you would like more information about this programme or wish to complete a referral form please contact:Email: email@example.com