Staff Women's Caucus facilitates social and collegial contact among women employed by the University. We provide a forum for discussing common interests, affirming, supporting and strengthening the role of women in the University community. We respond to public comment affecting women, nominate women for committees or working parties, comment on reports, charters, etc. We request programmes that will benefit women, and support the work of those implementing them.
Kia Ora Nga Wāhine o Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo
Greetings to all University of Otago Women
The aims of Staff Women's Caucus are to:
- encourage good relationships among women across the campuses of the University of Otago.
- foster awareness of the particular needs of women at the University of Otago.
- affirm, support and strengthen the role of women at the University of Otago.
- create a climate for the sharing of knowledge and expertise.
University Equity Advisory Committee (UEAC) Submission
Staff Women’s Caucus undertook consultation in 2015 to inform a submission to the UEAC. The UEAC was formed in late 2013 to develop an understanding of equity matters at Otago, identify issues and opportunities, and report on these to the Vice-Chancellor’s Advisory Group. As part of this work, UEAC sought input from across the University, including from the Staff Women’s Caucus.
Other equity-related commentary and articles:
- Equal Employment Opportunities at the University of Otago 1986-1991 (PDF 365K)
- Learning to Be Leaders in Education – EMAL 2011 (PDF 193K)
- Learning to Be Leaders in Higher Education – ECER 2008 (PDF 399K)
- Gender, academic careers and the sabbatical: a New Zealand case study – HERD 2015 (PDF 2M)
- Patricia Colman Lecture 2017: Nicola Gaston - Science and Equity (YouTube).
The committee organises social events, forums, theme weeks and so on. We monitor University activities, especially those affecting women staff.
Lunches are held to allow women to meet, air views on special topical issues, and inform committee members of wider concerns requiring comment. These lunches and other meetings are advertised in the Staff Bulletin.
An email list of members is also available.
The Staff Women's Caucus welcomes you to the University of Otago, and invites you to join us.
Membership is free and open to all women employed in any capacity within the University or related organisations.
All that you need to do to join Staff Women's Caucus is to ask to be added to our email list. Email your request to email@example.com.
Events and News
The Staff Women's Caucus organises a number of social and collegial events every year.
For further information, contact either of the co-presidents. If you would like to join the committee, please download and complete the SWC Committee Nomination Form.
SWC committee nomination form (PDF 26k)
Honorary SWC member nomination form (PDF 83k)