There are 2 categories of JP authority: ministerial and judicial.
All JPs can assist you with ministerial matters, but only JPs who have undergone a special course can assist with judicial matters.
- Witnessing signatures
- Certifying documents
- The witnessing of Land Transfer and other documents
- The taking of declarations, affidavits or affirmations
Involve suitably trained Justices attending the District Court to carry out such functions as:
- Jurisdiction determined by statute, including minor offences and some traffic cases
- Issue of remands and Bail
- Hearing of undefended cases
- Presiding over defended trials
- Committal hearings of indictable offences
- The receiving of informations and complaints and the issue of summonses
- The issue of search warrants
- The issue of summonses to witnesses