The University is legally required to verify certain personal details for students.
Matching your details against the NSI
After you have submitted your application we will attempt to match your name, date of birth and citizenship or residency against the National Student Index (NSI) using your National Student Number (NSN).
If you do not have an NSN, or we are unable to match your details, you may be asked to provide witnessed documents so that your application can be finalised. This information is outlined in the headings below.
Note: Any documents supplied must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation.
Evidence of legal name and date of birth
If we are unable to match your details against the NSI, an original or witnessed copy of any one of the following will provide acceptable evidence of your legal name and date of birth.
- your birth certificate (if you were born in New Zealand or Australia) or
- the page of your passport showing your name and other personal details or
- your citizenship certificate
Notes: a copy of your driver's licence will not be accepted.
If you need to order a copy of your birth or marriage certificate it is recommended that you do so as early as possible so that your application is not delayed.
Evidence of previous New Zealand tertiary study
If you have been enrolled at another New Zealand tertiary institution (whether in 2013 or previously) you will need to provide:
- an official transcript from your previous institution in order to be assessed for admission to the University of Otago.
If you have previously studied at another New Zealand university, your method of entrance will normally carry over to Otago.
Note: The University defines transferring students as 'a student who has previously attended another university in New Zealand but not the University of Otago. There are separate admission requirements if you have been enrolled at an overseas university or a non-university tertiary institution in New Zealand
If you have changed your name
If the name on the NSI, your birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate differs from your current name, or the name in which you gained any qualifications relevant to your admission, you must also provide an original or a witnessed copy of one or more of the following as formal evidence of each change:
- Marriage or civil union certificate
- Certificate of dissolution of marriage or civil union
- Deed poll
- Statutory declaration issued by Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Note: Any document containing a change of name must include both your previous name and the new name.
Evidence of citizenship
If we are unable to match your details against the NSI, we will request evidence of your citizenship.
If you were born in New Zealand or Australia
- an original or a witnessed copy of your birth certificate or
- a witnessed copy of the page of your passport showing your name and other details
Note: Do not send passports as they might be lost in the post. We do not accept a cancelled passport but we will accept an expired passport.
If you were born outside New Zealand or Australia and are a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand or Australia
Provide an original or a witnessed copy of one of the following documents as evidence of your status as a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand or Australia:
- certificate of New Zealand or Australian citizenship or
- witnessed copies of the pages from your passport containing details of your name and status as a citizen or permanent resident (your residence visa/permit) or
- a statement from the Immigration Service confirming your status
If you have refugee status, you must provide the original or a witnessed copy of the letter from the Immigration Service giving you entitlement to reside in New Zealand or Australia.
Note: If you do not hold the status of a domestic student you must have a student permit to enrol in a course that lasts for longer than three months taken in a New Zealand government-funded institution. If you are in the country on the basis of a work visa you must apply for a variation to your visa to permit you to enrol. You will be required to provide a copy of your student permit. For further information contact the International Division.