Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Evidence requirements for returning and recommencing students to Otago

Student enjoying coffee in St Davids


You may be required to provide documentary evidence if you have changed your name or residency status or if you have studied somewhere else since last at Otago.

Students who have been enrolled at the University of Otago who apply for undergraduate programmes subject to the Entry Pathway system will be considered for re-enrolment in two categories:

  • Returning students: Students who have been enrolled at the University of Otago in 2013 or 2014.
  • Recommencing students: Students who were last enrolled at the University of Otago in 2012 or earlier.

Note: Any documents supplied must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation.

^ Top of Page

If you have changed your name

If the name on the National Student Index, your birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate differs from your current name, or the name in which you gained any qualifications relevant to your admission, you must also provide an original or a witnessed copy of one or more of the following as formal evidence of each change:

  • marriage or civil union certificate
  • certificate of dissolution of marriage or civil union
  • deed poll
  • statutory declaration issued by a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages

If you are Māori you may send in a signed statement of your Whakapapa, countersigned by a Kaumatua, as evidence of name changes.

Note: Any document containing a change of name must include both your previous name and the new name.

^ Top of Page

If you have changed your residency status

If you are re-enrolling and have changed your residency status since you were last enrolled, you must provide a witnessed copy of one of the following:

  • your amended passport
  • your citizenship certificate

If you do not hold the status of a domestic student you must have a student permit to enrol in a course that lasts for longer than three months taken in a New Zealand government-funded institution. If you are in the country on the basis of a work visa you must apply for a variation to your visa to permit you to enrol.

^ Top of Page

If you have changed your gender

If you have undergone a gender change, you can change your gender status by providing an original or witnessed copy of a birth certificate changed through the Family Court process.

If you are undergoing a gender change, you can apply to change your gender status to X. You will need to supply a current passport, issued by the Department of Internal Affairs, which indicates your gender as X. If you do not have a current passport and are not contemplating getting one in the foreseeable future, you can provide a statutory declaration stating that you are transitioning from one gender to another and your current gender is indeterminate.

Upon completion of a gender change, you will need to provide a certified copy of your new birth certificate to the University so your record can be updated.

All requests must be made in writing and sent with the appropriate documentation to the Manager, Student Administration.

For further support, information and resources contact OUSA Queer Support.

^ Top of Page

Last enrolled prior to 1990

If you first enrolled at Otago before 1990, but have not re-enrolled since 2002, you may also be required to provide the same evidence as for a first year student.

^ Top of Page

If you have studied somewhere else since last at Otago

If you have been at another tertiary institution since you were last enrolled at Otago, you should provide a transcript when you apply, or as soon as possible after results become available.

It is your responsibility to provide your transcript as the University of Otago is not able to request records from other institutions on behalf of students, and cannot match this information on the NSI. Students who have completed papers at a tertiary institution may apply for ad eundem or transfer credit on the basis of passes achieved; a fee is charged for such applications. The application form is available from the Applying for Credit page.

^ Top of Page

Further information

^ Top of Page