Graduate Research School (including the Doctoral and Scholarships Office)
The Graduate Research School provides oversight of the University’s graduate research programmes and administers all central aspects of the doctoral and scholarships programmes.
- The Graduate Research School runs numerous workshops and seminars for doctoral candidates throughout the year. Find out more information about these and to register please follow this link to our dedicated events page.
- International Office - international student information sessions
- The Student Learning Centre offers support services for postgraduate students
- Follow this link to a PDF document detailing the vast array of support available to graduate research candidates across the University.
- Recommended Resource Books (in PDF format)
- Peer Support Groups (in PDF format)
- Doctoral candidates are encouraged to do a “Skills Audit” at strategic times throughout their doctoral journey. A Skills Guide from the University of Edinburgh is included here as well as an adapted version of their Skills Audit Template.
Personal Performance and Development Coaching
The University employs an accredited Personal Performance and Development Coach, Brian Johnston, to assist candidates to set realistic goals and to help focus on getting the right work/study balance. Visit the Personal Performance Development Coaching web page for further information about the service and how to make an appointment with Brian.
Statistics and Research
Postgraduate students carrying out quantitative research are encouraged to consider enrolling for the paper STAT 501 Statistical Modelling in Research. The aim of the paper is to provide you with the key statistical tools needed in collecting and analysing data.
Journeys of Discovery
Check out the diverse stories of 21 Otago PhD graduates in Journeys of Discovery, a collection of profiles of recent candidates and their research.
The Graduate Research Committee has oversight of graduate research processes and policies. The Graduate Research Student Liaison Committee provides an official forum for students to discuss issues relating to graduate research at Otago.
Māori and Pacific Islands Conference Funding
For more information and to apply for this funding please follow this link to the Māori and Pacific Islands Conference Funding web page.