The Examination Process
- PhD Examination Process
- Frequently Asked Questions about the PhD Examination Process
- Guidelines for the Oral Examination of the PhD
- Procedure for Convening Doctoral Examinations
Resources for staff members involved in the selection of PhD examiners:
- List of Approved PhD Convenors of Examiners (in PDF format)
- Nomination of examiners should now be completed through the eVision system.
The University of Otago Library has information on thesis organisation, copyright obligations and depositing an electronic thesis.
- Thesis Submission Declaration form
- Author Declaration Form (for hardbound and electronic copies) (in PDF format)
Graduation is the final stage in the PhD examination process; only once graduation has occurred is the degree conferred, and can the candidate use the title of ‘Doctor’.
- Graduation Information Sheet (in PDF format)
For detailed information regarding graduation please refer to the Doctoral and Masters Information page of the graduation website. It is important that you check this page so that you are aware of the requirements and deadlines that you will need to meet for your particular graduation ceremony.
Postgraduate Publishing Bursaries
Postgraduate Publishing Bursaries are available to support candidates to complete papers arising from their research during the examination period. Eligibility conditions and regulations are appended to the application form.
- Frequently asked questions about Postgraduate Publishing Bursaries (in PDF format)
- Postgraduate Publishing Bursary (PhD) Application Form (including also the regulations)
- Postgraduate Publishing Bursary (PhD) Report Form
Exceptional PhD Theses
A thesis is of exceptional quality when all three examiners of a candidate's thesis agree that the thesis is of an exceptional standard in every respect - research content, originality, quality of expression and accuracy of presentation - and is amongst the top 10% of theses examined.
Lists of exceptional theses recently examined at the University are available on the respective Academic Division's website: