Most general bachelors’ degrees and many of the specialised bachelors' degrees have Honours degrees allied to them (e.g. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Arts with Honours). They usually involve more papers in the subject of the degree and a research report or dissertation.
In most subjects, the Honours degree is a postgraduate degree, requiring an additional year of study after completion of a general three-year bachelor’s degree. In other cases (particularly professional programmes), the Honours degree is an undergraduate degree requiring additional work but taking no longer than the corresponding ordinary degree.
It is possible to undertake Honours degrees in more than one subject, or to take a Combined Honours degree (involving a blend of papers from two subjects).
Honours degrees are awarded at first class, second class and third class level.
The following Honours degrees are offered at the University of Otago.
- Bachelor of Applied Science with Honours (BAppSc(Hons))
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA(Hons))
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences with Honours (BBiomedSc(Hons))
- Bachelor of Commerce with Honours (BCom(Hons))
- Bachelor of Consumer and Applied Sciences with Honours (BCApSc(Hons)) (no new enrolments being accepted)
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery with Honours (BDS(Hons))
- Bachelor of Dental Technology with Honours (BDentTech(Hons))
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours (LLB(Hons))
- Bachelor of Medical Science with Honours (BMedSc(Hons))
- Bachelor of Music with Honours (MusB(Hons))
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc(Hons))
- Bachelor of Social Work with Honours (BSW(Hons))
- Bachelor of Surveying with Honours (BSurv(Hons))
- Bachelor of Physical Education with Honours (BPhEd(Hons))
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy with Honours (BPhty(Hons))
- Bachelor of Radiation Therapy with Honours (BRT(Hons))
- Bachelor of Theology with Honours (BTheol(Hons))
The BA(Hons), BAppSc(Hons), BCom(Hons), BSc(Hons), BTheol(Hons) and MusB(Hons) degrees have been changed from being four-year undergraduate programmes to one-year postgraduate programmes, undertaken after completion of the corresponding ordinary three-year bachelors’ degrees (BA, BAppSc, etc.). The new regulations appear in the 2013 Calendar.
Applying for an Honours degree
Students wishing to enrol for these qualifications for the first time should apply online by the relevant due date for applications.
Recommencing students resuming study for these qualifications should apply online by 10 December 2012, and returning students continuing in programmes for these qualifications should apply online by 15 January 2013.