|Value||$6,000, received in the form of reduced Residential College fees or tuition fees for the first year of study|
|Opening date||1 November|
|Closing date||5 December|
Alumni and friends of the University of Otago have gifted funds to provide scholarships for Law students who have demonstrated academic ability and who can show significant financial need.
- be a New Zealand citizen or a New Zealand permanent resident, or have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school
- be intending to enrol in full-time study in first year law at the University of Otago in the year following the closing date
- have at least NCEA Level 2 with a merit commendation or equivalent
Note: Students completing University papers while in their final year of high school are eligible for consideration.
You are likely to find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them before starting your application.
Selection of recipients
The Selection Committee consisting of the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, in the chair, the Dean of the Law Faculty, the Alumni Relations Campaign Officer, and the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships, or their nominees, shall consider the following factors in recommending the award of the scholarships:
- Academic ability (a minimum of NCEA Level 2 awarded with merit, or equivalent, is required for consideration)
- Financial need
- Potential and motivation to succeed at university
In addition to these primary criteria, the Committee may also give consideration to life circumstances which present significant barriers to studying at university.
Scholarship tenures and value
- $6,000 for year one.
- Standard tenure is one year.
- The University of Otago Dux Scholarship may be held concurrently at the value specified in its regulations.
Please note that you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application. Apply for enrolment at the University of Otago now.
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of this University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.