About to study at Otago for the first time?
Applications for Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships for study in 2018 will OPEN on 1 July 2017.
The CLOSING date for Entrance Scholarships applications is on 15 August 2017 at midnight (NZDT).The only exceptions to this are:
- The New Frontiers Entrance Scholarship which closes on 4 March 2018
- The Dux Scholarship which has no closing date
Applicants must be enrolled or intending to enrol for the first time for first-year (100-level), full-time, degree-level, undergraduate study at the University.
Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships Available
- Academic Excellence - worth up to $45,000 over three years (up to $25,000 for tuition fees and Residential College accommodation fees in first year, and $10,000 in second and third years), are primarily selected on the basis of outstanding previous academic performance, however leadership qualities and community involvement are also considered.
- Leaders of Tomorrow - these scholarships have a standard value of $6,000 and are selected based on a balance of academic achievement and leadership, which are usually demonstrated through school, sporting or cultural activities, and/or community involvement. Recipients of the Otago Daily Times Class Act normally have an automatic entitlement to this scholarship. For applicants of exceptional calibre, this scholarship may be awarded at a higher value and a longer tenure.
- Maori and Pacific Peoples' - students who are Māori and/or of indigenous Pacific descent are eligible to apply for these $10,000 scholarships, and are selected based on academic ability and community involvement. Some consideration may also be given to the life circumstances of applicants when making selections. For applicants of exceptional calibre, this scholarship may be awarded at a higher value and a longer tenure.
- Alumni - these scholarships have a standard value of $6,000 for one year and are for academically strong students who face significant financial and life challenges in attending university. For applicants of exceptional calibre, this scholarship may be awarded at a higher value and a longer tenure, and will be considered for the University of Otago R & E Seelye Trust Academic Excellence Entrance Scholarship valued at $45,000 (up to $25,000 for tuition fees and Residential College accommodation fees in first year, and $10,000 in second and third years).
- Donna-Rose McKay - also supported by the donations of Otago graduates, these $6,000 scholarships are available to students who have demonstrated academic ability and who can show financial need arising from a disability. Students with an existing significant disability of at least six months duration are eligible to apply. Academically, NCEA Level 2 with an overall merit commendation, or equivalent, is usually required for consideration. For applicants of exceptional calibre, this scholarship may be awarded at a higher value and a longer tenure.
- Performance - these scholarships have a standard value of $16,000 over three years, available to students who have demonstrated academic ability and who are at an elite level for their chosen sport or cultural discipline. For applicants of exceptional calibre, this scholarship may be awarded at a higher value in year one.
- New Frontiers - for students who do not have another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship (except the Dux Scholarship), these scholarships are available to students enrolling for bachelors degrees in Applied Science, Arts, Commerce, Law, Music, Performing Arts, Physical Education, Science, Social Work, Surveying and Teaching. They are guaranteed to those who secure an Excellence endorsement at NCEA Level Two and/or Three (or equivalent) enrolling for the degrees mentioned above. This scholarship is not available to students enrolling for Health Sciences First Year. These scholarships are valued at $2,500 and $5,000. Applications for this scholarship are open until 4 March 2018.
- Dux - students who were Duxes of their New Zealand secondary school have an automatic entitlement to the University of Otago Dux Scholarship, although the value of the scholarship depends on whether they are awarded another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship. For those without another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship, the Dux Scholarship is valued at $6,000.
- Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship - The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship was established by the University of Otago in 2015 to celebrate the excellence of students enrolling at the University of Otago. No application can be made, and selection of recipients will be at the discretion of the Vice-Chancellor. This scholarship may be held concurrently with other scholarships where specifically permitted in the offer of scholarship letter.
How to apply for the University of Otago Entrance Scholarships
You will need to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago before you can access the Entrance Scholarships online application. More information on the enrolment process can be found here.
More details on the Entrance Scholarships application process will be available here in July.
Terms and Conditions
The Entrance Scholarships Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of many of the University of Otago Entrance Scholarships are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your question may be answered in our Frequently Asked Questions.
If it isn't, please email email@example.com. If you have a University of Otago student identification number, please include this in your email.
Find us on Facebook