2017 Entrance Scholarships
Applications for Entrance Scholarships for the 2017 academic year have closed for all Entrance Scholarships, with the exception of the following scholarships:
- The New Frontiers Entrance Scholarship closes 4 March 2017. This scholarship can only be held concurrently with the University of Otago Dux Scholarship. Applicants with other University of Otago Entrance Scholarships, including the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship, are ineligible for this scholarship.
- The Dux Scholarship is available without application to every student who is named Dux of their high school (overall Dux of the school). This scholarship has no closing date. This scholarship can be held concurrently with other scholarships although the value will vary.
Applicants must be intending to enrol for the first time for full-time, degree-level, undergraduate study at the University.
What scholarships were available?
- Academic Excellence - worth up to $45,000 over three years (up to $25,000 for tuition fees and Residential College accommodation fees in first year, and $10,000 in second and third years), are primarily selected on the basis of outstanding previous academic performance, however leadership qualities and community involvement are also considered.
- Leaders of Tomorrow - these $6,000 scholarships are selected based on a balance of academic achievement and leadership, which are usually demonstrated through school, sporting or cultural activities, and/or community involvement. Recipients of the Otago Daily Times Class Act normally have an automatic entitlement to this scholarship.
- Maori and Pacific Peoples' - students who are Māori and/or of indigenous Pacific descent are eligible to apply for these $10,000 scholarships, and are selected based on academic ability and community involvement. Some consideration may also be given to the life circumstances of applicants when making selections.
- Alumni Appeal - each year Otago graduates and donors gift funds to support $6,000 to $45,000 scholarships for academically strong students who face significant financial and life challenges in attending university. Applicants for the University of Otago Alumni Appeal Entrance Scholarships may also be considered for the University of Otago R & E Seelye Trust Academic Excellence, Law Alumni, John Falloon Memorial, and University of Otago Alumni in America Inc. Entrance Scholarships.
- Donna-Rose McKay - also supported by the donations of Otago graduates, these $6,000 scholarships are available to students who have demonstrated academic ability and who can show financial need arising from a disability. Students with an existing significant disability of at least six months duration are eligible to apply. Academically, NCEA Level 2 with an overall merit commendation, or equivalent, is usually required for consideration.
- Performance - these scholarships are valued at up to $16,000 over three years, available to students who have demonstrated academic ability and who are at an elite level for their chosen sport or cultural discipline. All applicants for the University of Otago Performance Entrance Scholarships will be considered for the University of Otago Callis Trust Performance Entrance Scholarships.
- New Frontiers - for students who do not have another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship (except the Dux Scholarship), these scholarships are available to students enrolling for bachelors degrees in Applied Science, Arts, Commerce, Law, Music, Performing Arts, Physical Education, Science, Social Work, Surveying and Teaching. They are guaranteed to those who secure an Excellence endorsement at NCEA Level Two and/or Three (or equivalent) enrolling for the degrees mentioned above. This scholarship is not available to students enrolling for Health Sciences First Year. These scholarships are valued at $2,500 and $5,000. Applications for this scholarship are open until 4 March 2017.
- Dux - students who were Duxes of their New Zealand secondary school have an automatic entitlement to the University of Otago Dux Scholarship, although the value of the scholarship depends on whether they are awarded another University of Otago scholarship. For those without another University of Otago scholarship, the Dux Scholarship is valued at $6,000.
- Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship - The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship was established by the University of Otago in 2015 to celebrate the excellence of students enrolling at the University of Otago. No application can be made, and selection of recipients will be at the discretion of the Vice-Chancellor. This scholarship may be held concurrently with other scholarships where specifically permitted in the offer of scholarship letter.
How to apply for the University of Otago New Frontiers Entrance Scholarships
- You must to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the scholarship application process. Apply now for University of Otago enrolment.
- If you have already created your portal, you will see a "My Scholarships and awards" section, on the lower left of the Home screen.
- To apply for the University of Otago New Frontiers Entrance Scholarship, or to continue your application, click the "Apply now" button.
- Apply for every scholarship that you are eligible for, including the University of Otago New Frontiers Entrance Scholarship, before you hit the "Submit Application" button at the end of the Entrance Scholarship Application process. You may save your applications part way through.
- Applications for the University of Otago New Frontiers Entrance Scholarships at midnight on 4 March 2017.
Make sure you have hit the "Submit Application" button by then.
Terms and Conditions
The Entrance Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of many of the University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.
Check our FAQs here
To contact the Scholarships Office, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a University of Otago student identification number, please include this in your email.
Find us on Facebook