|Value||Standard value of NZ$6,000 for first year|
|Opening date||1 November|
|Closing date||5 December|
Established by the University Council in 2017 with support from Frank Leong. The scholarship rewards students who have shown tenacity in their learning.
Eligibility and application process
- Be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, or have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school.
- Intending to enrol or have enrolled for the first time for full-time, full-year degree-level, undergraduate study at the University of Otago for the first time in the year following the closing date.
- Submit, during the application process, a statement of no more than 250 words outlining the circumstances for applying for the scholarship and how the award would assist studying at the University of Otago.
- Submit, in the specified format, a declaration of personal and parental assets and income.
- Pre-arrange at least one referee, such as from a church or community organisation, who is able to comment on the applicant’s eligibility and suitability for the scholarship. Contact information for this referee will be required during the application process.
- The University of Otago will contact the referee(s) and request that reference statements are received by the University of Otago by the specified date.
- Applicants must not be in receipt of another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship.
- If you applied for the University of Otago Alumni Entrance Scholarship by 15 August 2017 but were unsuccessful, your applications will be automatically considered for the scholarships opening on 1 November and closing 5 December. You do not need to do anything further.
You will find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them before starting your application.
Selection of recipients:
The University and the Donor, shall consider the following factors in recommending the award of the scholarships:
- Financial need.
- Potential and motivation to succeed at university.
- The Committee may give consideration to life circumstances which present significant barriers to studying at university.
- The Committee will give consideration to those who have shown tenacity in their learning.
Scholarship tenure and value
- Tenure is for one year.
- Standard value of $6,000 in year one.
- The University of Otago Dux Scholarship may be held concurrently at the value specified in its regulations.
Please note that you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application. Apply for enrolment at the University of Otago now.
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of this University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.