|Value||Up to $16,000 over three years|
|Number offered||Two per year|
|Applications open||1 November|
|Applications close||5 December|
Established by the University Council in 2017 to encourage excellence in areas of academic achievement and rugby, these scholarships are available to academically strong students with demonstrated high-level ability in rugby.
Eligibility and application process
Applicants must be:
- Intending to enrol or have enrolled for the first time for full-time, full-year degree-level, undergraduate study at the University of Otago for the first time in the year following the closing date.
- Applicants with NCEA Level 2 with Merit endorsement or better, or equivalent, is normally the minimum eligibility for this scholarship.
- Provide, during the application process and using the prescribed format, information describing their rugby achievements.
- Pre-arrange at least one referee who is able to comment on the applicant’s eligibility and suitability for the scholarship. Contact information for this referee will be required during the application process.
- Additional references detailing rugby achievements and potential are also permitted.
- The University of Otago will contact the referee(s) and request that reference statements are received by the University of Otago by the specified date.
You are likely to find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them before starting your application.
Selection of recipients
The Selection Committee consisting of the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, in the chair, the Dean of the School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences, and the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships, or nominees, shall consider the following factors in recommending the award of the scholarships:
- Demonstrated excellence in rugby.
- Academic ability.
- Demonstrated leadership ability (this may be shown through leadership in school, sporting, cultural and/or community settings).
- The recommendation and ranking of the President of the Otago University Rugby Football Club or their nominee.
Please note that you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application. Apply for enrolment at the University of Otago now.
Scholarship tenure and value
- Tenure is up to three years. Tenure in years two and three requires a GPA of 3.0 or better (C+), and to have passed all papers for the previous year.
- $6,000 for year one. $5,000 for year two and $5,000 for year three, subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- The University of Otago Dux Scholarship may be held concurrently at the value specified in its regulations.
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor External Engagement, or nominee, has discretion to approve continuation of University of Otago Entrance Scholarships into years two and/or three. This discretion should be based on a number of factors, including (but not limited to):
i) A written request for discretion must be received by the Scholarships Office from the student, outlining why they would like some leniency in the GPA requirement.
ii) Evidence of sport or cultural activity performance and associated commitments.
iii) Evidence of medical impairment.
Entrance Scholarship Terms and Conditions
The current Entrance Scholarships Terms and Conditions will apply, with clauses 15 and 16 to read:
- Recipients of the University of Otago Alumni of the University of Otago in America Inc. Rugby Entrance Scholarship represent Otago or equivalent at the regional level, and must play for, and be a financial member of the Otago University Rugby Football Club for the tenure of the scholarship.
- Recipients of the Alumni in America Inc. Rugby Performance Entrance Scholarships are required to communicate with the Manager, Entrance Scholarships, in each year of tenure, reporting their achievements and challenges of the past season by 1 September.
The full Entrance Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of this University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.