Please do not contact this university directly.
For all enquiries please contact the Exchange Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated September, 2017
Important Notes if you are considering applying to the University of California (UC)
- When completing the Student Exchange Programme Application Form, the University of California (comprising of nine campuses) will count as one single destination.
- Students wishing to attend the University of California on exchange will be required to apply to three different UC campuses and be prepared to attend any one of them. Admission to your first choice of campus is not guaranteed. The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) office will assess your application and decide which campus you will attend.
A Student Exchange is available only at Undergraduate level.
Each University of California Campus has different course offerings and different requirements.
- Course catalogues (Select a campus)
- List of majors
- Undergraduate impacted majors - If you are applying in any of these majors, your application will be reviewed on a competitive, case-by-case basis. Your acceptance depends on available space as determined by the host UC campus
Some departments at UC have specific requirements. Otago students need to have completed prerequisites prior to starting at UC.
Suitable Otago papers to meet UC's requirements:
- BSNS 102 + BSNS 104 + ECON 112 (Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Statistics);
- FINQ 102 or MATH 102 or MATH 160 (Calculus).
- STAT110 or STAT115 (Statistics for non-commerce students)
- Applicants to business or economics must be specializing in this field at home and meet prerequisites to apply. Applicants must be willing to attend any UC campus where their major is offered.
- At UC, the fields of business administration and economics are separate. Due to the high demand for these courses, UC cannot guarantee access to more than one major. If a UC campus has both majors, students must be prepared to select coursework in only one of their majors, that is business or economics.
- Marketing - UC does not have a major in Marketing and the few classes offered at UC in this subject can be found under Econ or Business Econ. Student should look into UCR (Business Administration), UCSD (Econ) or UCD (classes are listed under Econ or Agricultural and Resources Economics). Some flexibility is required because UC cannot guarantee that courses in Marketing will be offered or that students will get a space in class.
- Finance and Accounting - these are not majors at UC. Finance and accounting courses would usually be offered under the business administration/management programs (if available at the UC campus), and/or under economics. For accounting specifically, UCSB and UCSC would be the best campuses the students should consider for this coursework. Even though accounting is available through UCB and UCR business programs, business is a particularly impacted major and spaces are limited.
UCB (Berkeley) and UCM (Merced): two semester per academic year (15 weeks of instruction each).
- Spring semester (January - May)
- Fall semester (August - December)
All other UC campus: three trimesters per academic year (10 weeks of instruction each).
- Winter quarter (January - March)
- Spring quarter (April - June)
- Fall quarter (September - December)
Course Load and Minimum Unit Requirements
International students are required to be enrolled full time (at least 13 semester units at most Berkeley colleges, at least 12 quarter units at all other UC campuses). Most UC students enrol in 14-17 units per term.
UC/Otago credit transfer guideline:
- UCB and UCM: 13 UC semester credits = 54 Otago points
- UCSD, UCI, UCR, UCLA, UCSB, UCSC and UCD term credits: 12 UC = 36 UO; 16 UC = 54 UO; 24 UC = 72 UO; 36 UC = 126 UO
Accommodation and the Cost of Living
The University of California will assist students in organizing accommodation for the duration of their exchange. Accommodation is however not guaranteed and students are encouraged to apply for their accommodation as soon as possible.
Estimated Cost of Living
Student Visa and Insurance
Information on Student Visas and Insurance for students going on exchange can be found elsewhere on this website.
- UCB 2017 S1 BCom MART MANT AC
- UCLA 2017 S1 BSc GENE ZOOL ES
- UCSC 2017 S1 BA POLS ECON LH
- UCB 2017 S1 BA POLS SM
- UCSB 2016 S1 BA POLS EM (340K PDF format)
- UCB 2016 S1 BA POLS CW (424K PDF format)
- UCSB 2016 S1 BCom ECON FINC SR (514K PDF format)
- UCSD 2016 S1 BCom ECON LL (511K PDF format)
- UCLA 2016 S1 BA POLS SOCI LW (227K PDF format)
- UCB 2015 S2 BSc MICR RRG (8625K PDF format)
- UCLA 2015 S2 BSc ECON JM (653K PDF format)
- UCSB 2015 S1 & 2014 S2 BSc ZOOL LY (865K PDF format)
- UCB 2015 S1 BA ANTH LL (351K PDF format)
- UCSD 2015 S1 BA POLS PHIL MW (201K PDF format)
- UCSC 2014 FY BA THEA FIME ZC (354K PDF format)
- UCB 2014 S2 BA PHPE HD (511K PDF format)
- UCSD 2014 S2 BCom ECON TS (384K PDF format)
Other student evaluation reports are available in the Student Resource room (room B07, Archway West building).
The University, City and Region
The University of California family includes more than 220,000 students, more than 170,000 faculty and staff, 37,000 retirees and more than 1.5 million living alumni.
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Los Angeles
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz
- UC San Diego
The Cities and Regions
Please refer to each individual campus’s website for information.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange please email email@example.com