Theology Student Resources
The following resources will be helpful as you study Theology with us:
- Planning your Bachelor of Theology
- 2013 Theology Paper Descriptions
- 2013 Theology & Religion Papers
- 2013 Theology Distance Brochure
- 2013 Master of Ministry Brochure
- Master of Ministry and Postgraduate Diploma in Ministry Information Guide
- Study and Style Guide sets out the required formatting for written essays and assignments [PDF, 239 KB]
- Research Essay Guidelines below explain the requirements for research essays at the 300- and 400-level
- Postgraduate Information Guide contains necessary information for all postgraduate students
Research Essay Guidelines
We encourage students into research writing of increasing length through research essays at the 300- and 400-level.
300-Level Research Essay
The aim is to show an awareness of some of the problems posed by modern critical study of an issue and an ability to use the methods of scholarship in resolving these.
Therefore, the essay should comprise a well-structured account of a clearly defined issue or problem with some indication of how it may be resolved. It should be limited in scope and disciplined in methodology.
Length: between 6,500 and 8,500 words (not including notes and bibliography).
Due: 1 November
400-Level Research Essay
The aim of this piece is similar to the 300-level research essay, but showing a greater ability to deal with the available literature and to think independently.
Therefore, it is a well-defined work, probably limited in its aims but with a growing awareness of critical methods of research.
- 480 Dissertation: Approximately 15,000 words (not including notes and bibliography)
- 490 Dissertation: Between 17,000-20,000 words (not including notes and bibliography)
Due: 1 November