Life is all about balance at Toroa
Like all good scholars Toroans balance their studies with some fun. The bonus at Toroa is that everyone gets the chance to know everyone else, so studying and socialising with good mates is what makes life at Toroa very comfortable.
We offer a range of inspiring and exciting events and activities throughout the year, designed to give you educational experiences beyond the lecture theatre.
Our calendar is packed with events and activities to pique both your interests and learning experiences.
Community Service, Cultural and Sporting events
Toroa has a diverse cultural, sporting and community service programme designed to turn your time at University into an enriching experience.
Our sports teams and our cultural teams take part in the InterCollege competitions with a passion. Known to win and place in competitions in both sporting and cultural events Toroa is a force to be reckoned with.
The Toroa Dragon Slayers (our basketball teams) are renowned for their sense of fun and fair play; Toroa United (our football and futsal teams) are a bunch of friends having some great fun. Our netball, volleyball and futsal teams are legendary in their leagues; and as for supporters - our residents are the best a team could ever have.
The Toroa Treble Makers (our choir) wow audiences wherever they sing; Our Maori Pasifika performance group can take great pride in the inclusivity of their creative performances. Our debating team is never at a loss for the winning points to an argument.
We are also active volunteers in our community and help out whenever and wherever we can.
Projects we have been involved in:
- fundraising and other support for Women's refuge
- fund raising and other support for Servant's Health Centre
- preparing cooked meals for families in our community
- painting the exterior of the Plunket building
- painting over graffiti in the wider community
- gardening for families and individuals in the wider community
- collecting and stacking firewood for families in our community
- creating and planting a vegetable garden at a local church
- supporting a food bank at a local church
- Relay for Life
- creating a long jump pit for a local school
- helping sort and prepare clothes for new and young parents
- helping at the Dunedin Night Shelter