IELTS is the International English Language Testing System.
It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking – for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication.
For more information about the IELTS test go to: www.ielts.co.nz
Visit www.ieltsessentials.com for official preparation advice and tips to help you do your best in the IELTS test.
How to apply for IELTS
- In person
- Email or post
2. In person:
Information brochures and application forms are available from UOLFCY reception.
University of Otago Language Centre and Foundation Year
PO Box 56 / 130 Anzac Ave
Tel: 64 3 479 5709
IELTS registration checklist
- Please note that an application is NOT complete unless it includes all of the following:
A photocopy of your passport
Payment of NZ$385* for Dunedin, NZ$485* for Queenstown
* Please note that these fees are subject to change.
It is important to register as early as possible if you wish to sit the test on your preferred test date.
IELTS payment details
Payment must be made within 94 hours of applying to secure your booking. Payments can be made via the website by debit / credit.
Payment can be made by EFTPOS or cash at the University of Otago Language Centre and Foundation Year.
A direct bank transfer is also possible. Offshore payment instructions are given online at the time of application.
Please contact the IELTS Administrator for more information.
If you are registering by post, please enclose a bank cheque made payable to: University of Otago Language Centre and Foundation Year.
Prior to the IELTS test
Approximately one week before the IELTS test, you will receive a letter in the post with details of your test day schedule, what to bring to the test, and how to get to the test venue.
You MUST bring your original, current passport.
NO other form of identification will be accepted.
Therefore, please plan ahead when choosing your test date and sending your passport to immigration for visa purposes.
IELTS cancellation/transfer policy
- If you cannot sit the test on the date that you applied for, you must tell us 5 weeks BEFORE the test day. A NZ$85 fee will apply to cancel or transfer your test to another date. After the 5 week deadline has expired, there will be no refund given.
- If you do not have a medical excuse and you decide to transfer or cancel within 5 weeks of the test date, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THE FULL APPLICATION FEE AGAIN.
- If you are sick on the day of the test and cannot sit the test, you must provide the IELTS Administrator with a medical certificate dated the same day as the test. This must be done within 5 days of the test for a partial refund or transfer. The NZ$85 fee still applies.
IELTS test results
You can search for your provisional IELTS results online at www.results.ieltsessentials.com.
Your IELTS results are usually available online 13 days after your test date, and will remain available for 28 days thereafter.
You will be given one copy of your test report form.
Up to five copies of your TRF will be posted to the relevant institution(s) you have listed on your IELTS application form.
Please notify us immediately if you change your address prior to issue of your TRF.
Regular postage is free of charge but charges for courier services will be passed onto candidates.
Additional copies for tertiary institutions requested after you receive your results cost NZ$20 per copy.
If you have lost your TRF, please contact the Test Centre which issued your TRF.
Enquiry of IELTS results (EOR)
If you wish to query your test results, please see the IELTS Administrator within six weeks of your test date to apply for a re-mark. (EOR)
This procedure costs NZ$230 and can take up to six weeks to process.
If there is an INCREASE in your results, you will be issued a new TRF and receive a full refund.
If there is NO CHANGE to your results, you will not receive a refund.
If you have a disability or condition which might require special arrangements, you should discuss it with your test centre as soon as possible.
Each case is considered individually and you will need a medical certificate.
Test centres need three months to put arrangements into place, so please make sure to take this into consideration when scheduling your exam.
Special arrangements include the following:
- Enlarged print and Brailled test papers, an amanuensis to write answers, a Braille word-processor for those with visual difficulties.
- Special amplification equipment, lip-reading version of the Listening module for those with hearing difficulties.
- Extra time for the Reading and Writing modules, use of a word processor for those with learning difficulties (eg dyslexia).
Location of the IELTS test in Dunedin
The IELTS test is held at the University of Otago Language Centre and Foundation Year, University Plaza Building One, 130 Anzac Avenue, Dunedin.
You will be welcomed by a test administrator on arrival at the University of Otago Language Centre and Foundation Year.
Location of the IELTS test in Queenstown
University of Otago / QRC campus is located at Level 3, 7 Coronation Drive, Queenstown.