University level English tuition
The Language Centre runs programmes to prepare you specifically for study at undergraduate or postgraduate level at an English-speaking university.
You will follow a carefully structured programme of academic English, research and learning skills, and IELTS preparation.
We offer a full 15-week English for Academic Purposes programme (EAP) during Term 2.
The aim of this course is to help students become confident in using the conventions of academic English as required for tertiary study and to develop the skills needed for independent learning.
The course content includes:
- listening to lectures and taking notes
- review of grammar and sentence structure
- development of academic vocabulary
- extensive critical reading
- research and referencing skills
- paraphrasing, summarising and quoting
- seminar presentations
- group discussions
- IELTS preparation classes
EAP does not offer a pathway to Foundation Year or to the University of Otago, but it provides good preparation for the EFO programme offered in Term 3.