Where is the Public Health Summer School held and how do I get there?
All courses, except two (Leading & Influencing and Insulation Plus- see below) will be held at the University of Otago, Wellington campus (next to Wellington Hospital).
University of Otago, Wellington
23a Mein Street
The main entrance to our campus is off Mein St. Please come into reception on the ground floor (Level C) and you will be given directions to the Summer School registration desk.
For directions to the Summer School via bus, car or on foot please click here - Map and directions to the University of Otago, Wellington.
Public transport - there are many bus routes that pass very near to our campus, including a number of bus services from the railway station. Buses are frequent at all times of the day. For more information click on the map link above or the bus timetable here.
On your bike - there is also easy cycling to/from the centre city and many suburbs and we have plenty of bike parking in front of the university building.
On foot -with our central location, walking may also be a great option.
Parking -please note if you require car parking, there is very limited car parking in the streets surrounding Mein Street so please allow time to find a park. There is all-day parking in the Wellington Hospital car parks for $10 per day.
From Wellington Hospital - If coming to our University of Otago building from Wellington Hospital, take the Orange lift to level 3, turn left, go up the stairs past Fuel coffee shop (on right) to Ward Support Block, go past Vibe Café (on left) turn right and you are facing the University doors. Go through and you will be on level C of our building. Walk up the stairs to Summer School reception desk on level D.
Leading & Influencing in Public Health - held in AUCKLAND
This course will be held at the University of Otago, Auckland Centre located at 385 Queen St Auckland. View further information here on Auckland Centre.
Insulation Plus! - held offsite
This course will be held at the Wellington Club, located at Wellington Club Building Level 4/88 The Terrace, Wellington, 6011
Is there accommodation close to the Public Health Summer School?
The University of Otago, Wellington campus is in Newtown, approximately 3km from the CBD. The following accommodation options are within a short walk if you prefer to stay close by.
Southgate Motor Inn
70-72 Riddiford Street
Tel: 64 4 9399292
Ascot Motor Lodge
46 Riddiford Street
Tel: 0800 380004
Who is the Public Health Summer School for?
These short courses are ideally suited for those working in:
- district health boards
- government departments
- local authorities
- non-governmental organisations
- public health services
- primary care organisations
Or also for:
- anyone who requires an understanding of public health concepts in their work
- anyone considering postgraduate studies in the public health area
What do Public Health Summer School courses cost?
Most courses cost $300 early bird, $400 after 21 December 2016, per day. A small number of subsidised courses are offered at lower rates, as marked on the registration form and course descriptions.
A 50% discount is also available to full-time students, those unwaged and University of Otago staff.
What are the payment options?
If you are a staff member of the University of Otago:
University of Otago staff must use the “GL/PL account code required” as their payment option, unless payment is from a personal fund.
If you are not University of Otago staff:
You can choose to pay your registration fee either by “Credit card” or “Invoice”.
• “Credit card” – this is the easiest and fastest way to pay, and you get your registration confirmation/tax invoice/receipt in minutes.
• “Invoice” – select this option if you wish to pay by internet banking or cheque. Your registration invoice should be sent to the email address you gave us within 5 working days. Please contact us if you have not received your invoice by the end of 5 working days. All invoice payments must be received within 30 days (or prior to the course start, whichever is earlier).
• If you choose the “Invoice “payment option, you will be asked to provide your billing information such as organisation name (legal entity), address and phone number. At this point you can also indicate a purchase order number and/or a person to attention the invoice to. If neither of these are required please tick N/A. Any additional information relating to the payment can be submitted in the “comments” box.
What is the daily schedule?
All courses begin at 9am and finish no later than 5.30pm. There is up to an hour for lunch and short breaks during the morning and afternoon. There will also be a small number of free early evening events as marked on the homepage.
Upon arrival please take the stairs to the first floor, by the Level D Cafe, where you will find the registration desk. Collect your name tag and any course material before being shown to the room.
Is lunch provided?
Lunch, morning and afternoon tea is provided. All food is vegetarian (as part of the Department of Public Health’s commitment to promoting health and sustainability).
How do I register?
To register for a course please click on this button Register now