Iwi ki Te Ūpoko o te Ika / Iwi in the Wellington Region
The Charter of the University of Otago states the institution's commitment to the articles of the Treaty of Waitangi. Its special relationship with Ngāi Tahu is recognised by way of a memorandum of understanding with Te Runanga o Ngāi Tahu. However, the University also recognises that it extends beyond the Ngāi Tahu takiwā (Iwi area) and has formed relationships with a number of other iwi. These relationships are the foundation of the University's Treaty responsiveness.
The main iwi maintaining mana whenua status in Te Ūpoko o te Ika (the head of the fish of Māui, the greater Wellington region) are:
- Ngāti Raukawa, centred in the north-west of the region at Otaki and Levin.
- Te Ātiawa ki Whakarongotai, centred around Waikanae.
- Ngāti Toa Rangatira, focused around Porirua.
- Te Ātiawa/Taranaki ki Te Upoko o Te Ika, centred mainly in Hutt Valley and Wellington city.
- Rangitāne o Wairarapa and Ngāti Kahungunu o Wairarapa, based throughout the Wairarapa.
Ngāti Toa Rangatira
The University of Otago has signed a memorandum of understanding with Te Runanga o Toa Rangatira. The MOU can be downloaded here. (PDF 119K)
Ngāti Toa Rangatira traces its descent from the eponymous ancestor Toarangatira. The Ngāti Toa region extends from Miria-te-kakara at Rangitikei to Wellington, and across Cook Strait to Wairau and Nelson. However the iwi mainly lives around Porirua and Nelson:
Ko Whitireia te maunga
Ko Raukawa te moana
Ko Tainui te waka
Ko Ngāti Toarangatira te iwi
Ko Te Rauparaha te tangata
For more information on Te Runanga o Toa Rangatira visit www.toarangatira.iwi.nz.
The Ora Toa Health Care Services include a wide range of services, delivered in Porirua and Wellington. The university appreciates the learning opportunities that Ora Toa Health Services provide to students in our professional health programmes. For more information on the Ora Toa health services visit www.oratoa.co.nz.
Te Atiawa/ Taranaki ki te Upoko o te Ika a Maui
Two main organisations represent Te Atiawa/Taranaki ki Te Upoko o Te Ika: Ngā Tekau o Poneke (Wellington Tenths Trust) and Te Runanganui o Taranaki Whanui ki te Upoko o te Ika a Maui Inc.
Wellington Tenths Trust
The origin of the Tenths goes back to the 1839 deed of purchase by the New Zealand Company, which promised the chiefs of the Port Nicholson district that they would retain one tenth of the total land ceded by them to be held in trust for their heirs forever. The Port Nicholson Block claim was about the taking of Wellington land by various actions of past governments. The Wellington Tenths Trust administers what was left of the original reserve of over 4000 acres, on behalf of its beneficial owners. Wellington Tenths Trust
The Port Nicholson Block Settlement Trust www.portnicholson.org.nz was set up in 2008 to receive and manage the settlement package for Taranaki Whanui ki Te Upoko o Te Ika. Taranaki Whanui ki Te Upoko o Te Ika is a grouping of descendants of tupuna who were in the Port Nicholson Block rohe in 1840. They descend from tupuna of Te Ātiawa, Taranaki, Ngāti Ruanui and Ngāti Tama. A kaitiaki role is carried for Ngāti Mutunga.
Wellington Hospital was built on Wellington Tenths land and as part of the Treaty settlement, the Trust has right of first refusal it is declared surplus to Crown requirement within the next 100 years.
The settlement also included recognition of Māori place names, including for example, Tinakori Hill became officially known as Te Ahumairangi Hill, Baring Head/Ōrua-pouanui, Pariwhero/Red Rocks, Whiorau/Lowry Bay.
Read the Port Nicholson Block (Taranaki Whanui ki Te Upoko o Te Ika) Deed of Settlement. (PDF 238K)