Applications for 2018 are now closed. Applications for 2019 will be open 1 March 2018 – 31 May 2018.
A limited number of elective positions are available here at the University of Otago, Wellington for positions at Wellington Regional Hospital. Only genuine final-year medical students from recognised medical schools are eligible for such electives. Please note that all requests for elective placements should be directed to the contact addresses below and NOT directly to the hospital or a specific consultant. Postgraduate overseas electives / internships for graduating medical doctors are organised through the hospitals directly.
Elective placements are only offered for a period of 4–8 weeks with a maximum of two disciplines per elective. No elective placements are offered during the months of December and January. Whilst we will try and match students’ requests with positions that are available, naturally our own students have priority in the choice of attachments.
Applications / enquires are open strictly from 1 March – 31 May of the year before you require an elective placement. No applications will be considered outside this time period.
There is a non-refundable administration fee of NZ$1,250.00 incurred for successful candidates.
Please complete the form below and email to email@example.com
- Accident and Emergency
- Ear, Nose & Throat (Limited Space)
- Intensive Care
- General Medicine
- Oncology / Haematology
- Paediatrics (limited space)
- Public Health – Research
- Psychological Medicine (Limited space)
- Radiology (Limited space)
Currently, Urban General Practice and Rural General Practice, Obstetrics and Gynaecology are not available due to all available places being taken up by our own students.
- During your elective in New Zealand you will have the same status and responsibilities as our own final year medical students, which includes limitations on prescribing drugs, and on unsupervised examination and treatment of patients.
- Elective students will be responsible to the Dean, University of Otago, Wellington through their Supervisor, for the period of the elective attachment. Students are not permitted to undertake paid employment during their elective attachment and will be expected to comply with the standing regulations of the Otago Medical School, University of Otago.
- Students will be expected to adopt appropriate dress standards. An identification badge will be provided which must be worn while on the hospital campus
- If English is not your first language, you must provide proof of a satisfactory standard in spoken and written English.
- It is your responsibility to arrange malpractice insurance and personal health insurance for the duration of your elective attachment.
- Any planned holiday must be arranged outside the dates of the elective attachment.
- On arrival you will be required to produce an updated copy of your Student Health record, which must include the following:
A negative nasal swab result for MRSA (taken within 6 weeks before start of elective).
Mantoux test status (within 6 months before start of elective) or Chest X-ray confirming your TB status.
Blood test results for:
- ANTI-HBs (Hepatitis B Vaccine antibody)
- Measles antibody
- Mumps antibody
- Rubella antibody
- Varicella-Zoster antibody
- If you require an assessment report please hand this to your Supervisor.
- Please refer to our accommodation webpage for accommodation options - you are responsible for arranging your own accommodation.
Information regarding visa requirements can be found at: immigration.govt.nz
If you are interested in an elective at the University of Otago, Wellington, please contact: Elective Co-ordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Surgery and Anaesthesia runs a Clinical Elective Experience for Overseas Students.
Due to an increased number of domestic students, we will not be offering surgery placements in 2017.