Should you apply for and be offered a place at Abbey College, you will enter into a Residential Contract with the College.
Our Residential Contract comprises the following three parts:
Please bear the following in mind:
- The College is primarily a long-stay college for postgraduate students studying at the University of Otago. We are a small college with 75 bedrooms rooms of three types and are open all year.
- There is a contractual commitment to pay for the accommodation for the entire period of the contract entered into.
- Research students who submit their thesis may leave on that day, or stay for an agreed further period of time depending on the circumstances.
- Arriving students may begin their residence at any time but they will normally be required to enter into a contract until the end of the academic year or until they have resided at Abbey for at least three months, whichever is the longer.
- Residents with a University of Otago PhD Scholarship will receive an additional bursary from the University of Otago at the rate of $1000 per year.
- There is a rebate for absences of seven days or more should you wish to take a holiday, attend a conference, do field work, etc. The rebate is currently set at $80 per week.
- The College is able to take a small number of academic staff visiting for one to six months. Applications for these would normally come through an academic department.
- The College has a number of rooms suitable for couples but does not have facilities for children. Postgraduates with families are encouraged to seek help with accommodation through the University of Otago Student Accommodation Centre.
Payment through secure Credit Card portal
Payment of the Admission Payment can be made through our secure Credit Card portal