Take your accounting career to the next level
Become a Chartered Accountant, and get international recognition as an accounting professional. Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand is the professional body for practicing accountants in Australia and New Zealand – membership is especially important if you wish to become a financial accountant or auditor.
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand:
- Promotes the interests of over 100,000 accounting professionals in Australia, New Zealand and throughout the world
- Represents all parties involved in accounting, from those who practice to those who employ and educate accountants
- Is a member of the Global Accounting Alliance – members enjoy reciprocal benefits from ten international accounting bodies, invaluable when working overseas
- Provides awards prizes to Otago students
Find out more about:
There are three designations: Chartered Accountant, Associate Chartered Accountant, and Accounting Technician.
To become a Chartered Accountant, you must:
- Complete three years of academic study, including a bachelor’s degree
- Include the required topics as listed in the academic schedules
Note: We recommend that more able students (i.e. B+ average and above) consider an Honours degree when they complete their BCom. Completion of an Institute-approved accounting/commerce Honours programme will be recognised as equivalent to the first year of approved employment.
Find out more about professional accreditation in Australia and New Zealand:
Find more specific information relating to New Zealand students:
View the list of approved papers at each university in New Zealand on the CAANZ website.
After completing your university study, to become a Chartered Accountant, you will need to complete the following:
- Three years of practical experience
- Four online study modules with Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand during your practical experience
- A capstone module at the end of the three years
Find out more at: www.nzica.com/CAProgram
Once you become a member of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand you are entitled to use the letters CA and describe yourself as a Chartered Accountant.
Whatever your level of study, you can sign up to our student affiliate programme (free membership).
This programme is the ideal way to learn more about becoming a CA, ACA or AT, or accounting in general.
Benefits of being a Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Student Affiliate
Joining Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand to bridge the gap from student to professional. Not only will you be shaping your future, you will also be shaping the world you do business in.
As a member of the Student Affiliate programme, you will receive:
- Job opportunities and mentoring programmes such as Career Speed Dating
- High profile events the will put you directly in touch with top employers
- Opportunities to meet young executives and find out first-hand what life is like on the other side
- The opportunity to apply for scholarships to support your tertiary studies
- Regular updates to help make the most of your student years and transition into a career in business, such as our monthly email newsletter
- Fun and challenging business-related challenges that will give you insight into the profession and make your CV shine
- Offers and savings from New Zealand’s best brands and retailers