|Approved by||Staffing Advisory Committee, pre 2000|
|Date Guideline Took Effect||1 January 2000|
|Last Approved Revision||10 November 2015|
|Sponsor||Director of Human Resources|
|Responsible Officer||HR Manager, Promotions & Remuneration|
|Review Date||10 November 2020|
The purpose of these Guidelines is to define the circumstances in which the title Adjunct can be awarded and to set out the approval processes.
These guidelines apply to all academic activities.
- Adjunct Titles are awarded to persons who are undertaking activities which provide a significant contribution of benefit to the University, and to recognise the importance of the relationship between the appointee and the University.
- Adjunct Titles are normally associated with the appointment of specialised and leading academic and professional persons to a position within the University.
- Adjunct Titles are awarded to persons having such academic and professional eminence that were they a member of the permanent university academic staff they would be appointed at the same level.
- Adjunct appointments are employees for a small percentage (usually less than 10%) of full-time equivalent salary. In cases where it is appropriate for employment to be more than 10% the request should be referred to Staffing Advisory Committee.
- It is not normal University practice to award Adjunct titles to persons who are external co-supervisors of post-graduate students.
- The title will normally be awarded for a term of one to three years at any one time.
- The following Adjunct Titles can be awarded:
- Adjunct Lecturer
- Adjunct Research Fellow
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow
- Adjunct Associate Professor
- Adjunct Research Associate Professor
- Adjunct Professor
- Adjunct Research Professor
- Approval of Adjunct Titles are made as follows:
|Adjunct Title||Approval by the:||On the recommendation of:|
|Vice-Chancellor||Head of Department with the support of the Dean (where appropriate), the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and the Staffing Advisory Committee.|
|Staffing Advisory Committee||Head of Department with the support of the Dean (where of appropriate) and the Pro-Vice-Chancellor.|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor*||Head of Department with the support of the Dean (where of appropriate).|
* In cases where it is appropriate for employment to be more than 10% cases should be referred to Staffing Advisory Committee
- When the Staffing Advisory Committee considers requests to award the title of Adjunct Professor or Adjunct Research Professor, it will make a recommendation to the Vice-Chancellor. On the basis of whether that recommendation was a ‘clear yes’, an ‘equivocal yes or no’ or a ‘clear no’, the Vice-Chancellor would either make a decision or invoke a further process to help decide.
- Reappointments to Adjunct positions previously approved by the Vice-Chancellor will be made by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic).
- Reappointments to Adjunct positions previously approved by the Staffing Advisory Committee will be made by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic).
- The following documentation is required when seeking approval:
- The Recommendation to Award the Title Form or a covering letter which provides the same information;
- CV of the applicant.
- Adjunct appointees who will be based in New Zealand must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand before commencing the position. It is the responsibility of the person awarded the adjunct title to obtain any necessary visas.
- Payments to Adjunct Appointees who will be based in New Zealand are subject to income tax if the payments are made to New Zealand bank accounts. If payments are made to overseas bank accounts, Departments must check with Payroll Services regarding tax requirements.
- Departments are responsible for ensuring that persons awarded adjunct titles are aware of the University's Human Resources policies. The Human Resources Division will provide a list of Human Resources policies with all offers.
- Departments are responsible for arranging University Usernames and/or ID cards (if required) to persons awarded adjunct titles.
- The Human Resources Division will issue all letters of offer.
- The names of Adjunct staff will be listed in the University Calendar within the department/school which has recommended the award of the title.
- The University will provide library privileges and reasonable access to computing facilities.
Related Policies, Procedures and Forms
- Honorary Appointments - Guidelines for the Awarding of Titles
- Visiting Fellows - Guidelines for the Awarding of the Title
- Recommendation to award an Adjunct Title form
Contact for Further Information
If you have any queries regarding the content of this policy or need further clarification, contact the HR Manager, Promotions & Remuneration at email@example.com or (03) 479 8092.