|Approved by||Vice-Chancellor, 14 April 2008|
|Date Policy Took Effect||14 April 2008|
|Last approved revision||27 February 2017|
|Sponsor||Director, Student and Academic Services|
|Responsible officer||Director, Student and Academic Services|
To set out the requirements for the issuing of and holding of University of Otago Identity Cards.
This policy applies to all University of Otago Identity Cards.
- Employed on a permanent, fixed term or casual employment agreement.
- Visitor and Guest
- This category includes people not employed directly by the University, but who are undertaking research, sabbatical, consultancy, or similar activities.
- This category includes contractors and sub-contractors. The individuals may work for companies or be sole-traders and consultants.
1. Card Issue
- Cards are issued only to those who have been validated or approved to hold a card.
- Student Administration validates students as enrolled via the Student Management System.
- Human Resources validate staff members as employed via an active record in the Payroll system.
- Heads of Department approve visitors and guests via completion of the External Username/ID Card Access Request form.
- Health & Safety Compliance approve contractors via the Approved Contractor system.
- Proof of identity is required for a card to be issued, in accordance with section 2 below.
- Cards are issued by the ID Card Office on the Dunedin campus. There are alternative arrangements on the ID Card webpage for those located elsewhere.
- The type of card issued will depend on the relationship between the individual and the University.
- The following are the only valid forms of photo identification accepted by the ID Card Office:
- New Zealand Drivers Licence
- Hospitality New Zealand 18+ Card
- New Zealand Firearms Licence
- Preceding year’s University of Otago student ID Card.
- In the event that applicants are unable to provide one of these forms of identification, a “Proof of Identity” form must be completed. This form is available from the ID Card Office.
3. Cardholder Responsibilities
- Those holding an ID Card are bound by the terms of issue and use. The terms are provided at time of issue, or are available from the ID Card Office.
- Cards remain the property of the University of Otago.
- Once an individual ceases to be eligible to hold a card, the card must be returned to the University unless it was issued for a specific period of time. The time period will be displayed on the card:
- Student cards are issued for each year, and therefore do not need to be returned unless the student is seeking a part refund of the Student Services Fee during the year under the Fees Exemption Regulations.
- Staff cards are issued indefinitely and therefore must be returned at the end of employment.
- Emeritus Professors may retain their staff card once paid employment ceases.
- Visitor, Guest, and Contractor cards are issued for a specific period of time and therefore do not need to be returned.
- University officials can request an individual produce their ID Card as proof of identity. This is to confirm:
- Eligibility for services or entitlements.
- Authorisation to access buildings, sites, or other areas under the control of the University.
- Authorisation to access or participate in external organisation activities that require proof of University identity.
4. Cultural Considerations
- For the purpose of issuing a card, or for proof of identity, it is important an applicant’s face is verified against a valid form of photo identification.
- The applicant's face must be clearly visible on the photo. Cultural headwear is acceptable if the face is visible.
- An appropriate private environment will be provided when necessary.
- Should an applicant request an alternative University official to undertake the identity check, and/or to take the photo, both parties must agree to the alternative person.
Related policies, procedures and forms
- Identity Card Sector Allocation Policy
- ID Card Application Form for students off the Dunedin campus
- Staff ID Card Application form for staff not on the Dunedin campus
- External Username/ID Card Access Request form
- Contractors & subcontractors
- Fees Exemption Regulations
Contact for further information
If you have any queries regarding the content of this policy or need further clarification, contact:
Student and Academic Services