|Approved by||Vice-Chancellor, 15 December 2011|
|Date Regulation Took Effect||15 December 2011|
|Last approved revision||2 December 2014|
|Sponsor||Chief Financial Officer|
|Responsible officer||Manager, Revenue Management|
To be read in conjunction with the Fees Statute 2011
1. Title and Commencement
1.1. These are the Fees Exemptions Regulations which are made pursuant to the provisions of clause 4.1(b) of the Fees Statute 2011.
1.2. These Regulations come into effect on the day on which they are approved by the Vice-Chancellor.
2. Exemptions from Tuition Fees
2.1. Doctoral students and students enrolled for the thesis component of a Master’s degree:
- who enrol after the beginning of an academic year, shall be liable in that year for a pro-rata Tuition Fee calculated on a monthly basis in respect of each month or part month of the year in which they are enrolled.
- who have submitted their theses for examination, will be refunded the Tuition Fee already paid in respect of each full month of the unused portion of their enrolment.
3. Exemptions from Student Services Fees
3.1. Students enrolling in only one semester, either first semester or second semester, will be charged half the full year’s Student Services Fee. Where a student enrols in first semester and subsequently adds second semester on-campus papers to their enrolment, they will be charged the remainder of the full year’s Student Services Fee.
3.2. Students enrolling in Summer School shall be liable to pay one sixth of the Student Services Fees. That amount shall be credited towards the liability (if any) the student may have for Student Services Fees in respect of further enrolment in the same calendar year.
3.3. The following shall be exempt from paying the Student Services Fees:
- Staff members (“Staff member” means a person who is employed by the University on a half time or greater basis and has a contract of employment with the University of 10 months or longer, provided that in any case of difficulty in applying this definition the matter shall be finally determined by the Director, Human Resources);
- Students enrolled for distance papers only;
- Students enrolled for interest only and not eligible to sit degree examinations;
- A student specifically exempted from the fee, in full or in part, under the authority of the Director, Student Services.
3.4. A student exempted from the Student Services Fees is not eligible to use any of the services to which the Fees contribute.
3.5. Doctoral students and students enrolled for the thesis component of a Master’s degree:
- who enrol after the beginning of an academic year shall be liable in that year for a pro-rata Student Services Fees calculated on a quarterly basis in respect of each quarter or part quarter of the year in which they are enrolled;
- who have submitted their theses for examination, and who are not enrolled for any other papers, are entitled, upon surrender of their University ID card, to a pro-rata refund of the Student Services Fees which they have paid and shall thereupon cease to be eligible to use any of the services to which the fee contributes.
3.6. Students to whom clauses 3.3(a), (c) or (d) or 3.5(b) apply may at the discretion of the Director, Student Services, be permitted to pay the Student Services Fees voluntarily to be entitled to use the services.