|Category||Health and Safety|
|Approved by||Vice Chancellor, October 2004|
|Date Policy Took Effect||1 October 2004|
|Last Approved Revision||26 June 2017|
|Sponsor||Chief Operating Officer|
|Responsible Officer||Head, Health and Safety Compliance|
|Review Date||26 June 2022|
The University of Otago is committed to providing a safe work place for staff, students and visitors.
The purpose of this policy is to provide a safe work place by ensuring all portable electrical equipment is tested as per AS NZS 3760:2010 guidelines.
The testing of portable electrical equipment to AS/NZS 3760:2010 requirements is a recognised practical step for the management of electrical hazards.
All workplaces of the University of Otago.
AS/NZS 3760:2010 - Standard New Zealand’s standard for In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment.
DHSO - Departmental Health and Safety Officer.
Portable non-specialised electrical equipment - Electrical equipment that is portable and connected by a flexible cord to a power supply.University Certified Competent Tester - Worker of the University who has a current electrical testing certificate of competence.
Examples include extension cords, multi-boxes, kitchen appliances, computers, lights/lamps, heaters etc.
- All identified equipment be checked as per AS/NZS 3760:2010 and the University Electrical Testing of Portable Equipment Guidelines.
- It is the responsibility of departments to identify specialist electrical items that require testing by registered electricians or specialist services, such as medical equipment.
- Equipment that fails the electrical test must be tagged and removed from service for repair by an electrician. Only registered electricians shall repair any electrical equipment.
- Due to the number of items in some areas, prioritisation is necessary. The HOD/Manager must establish the priorities for their areas and document the decided criteria.
- Tested equipment must be clearly marked with a durable, non-reusable, non-metallic tag.
- The tag must identify the name of the person or company who tested the equipment, and the test or the re-test date.
Related Policies, Procedures and Forms
Contact for Further Information
If you have any queries regarding the content of this policy or need further clarification, contact the Head, Health and Safety Compliance, Operations Group on firstname.lastname@example.org