Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Otago images - @Otago issue 25

Wednesday 16 December 2020 1:47pm

A selection of images from the Hocken Collections Uare Taoka o Hākena, looking back at laboratories at Otago from 1909 to the 1980s.

Photos sourced from Otago, 150 Years of New Zealand's First University by Alison Clarke.


O25 5-3 Hocken S16-521cr6681fm 650px
Leopold (Poldi) Kirschner, who joined the Otago staff in 1948, was one of several Jewish émigré academics. Originally from Austria, Kirschner worked on leptospirosis in Indonesia but was interned there during the war. He continued his work on leptospirosis at Otago in MRC’s Microbiology Research Unit. This photograph was probably taken in 1949, long before mouth pipetting went out of fashion.

Department of Physiology Records. MS-4333/009. S16-521C. Hocken Collections Uare Taoka o Hākena.


O25 7-1 Hocken S17-610jfm 650px
In the chemistry lab, around 1909.

University of Otago Medical School Alumnus Association Records. MS-1537/309. S17-610J Hocken Collections Uare Taoka o Hākena.


O25 9-13 Hocken S16-669cfm 650px
Pharmacy student Alan McClintock and technician Sandra Barkman identifying ‘unknown’ chemical compounds in Rob McKeown’s pharmaceutical chemistry lab. c.1983.

University of Otago Photographic Unit Records MS-4368/085. S16-669c. Hocken Collections Uare Taoka o Hākena.


O25 woman and tests 650px
Making up supplies of the new wonder drug, penicillin, in the Pathology Department’s Sterile Solutions Unit in 1949. The ‘factory’ made solutions and drugs to sell around the country. Pathology professor Eric D’Ath kept it going in the hope it would prove useful for a future pharmacy department and it was duly handed over in the 1960s.

Prime Minister’s Department Photograph Box, 184-007, S16-102A, Hocken Collections Uare Taoka o Hākena.