Extend your knowledge of clinically relevant anatomy through self-directed distance learning and hands-on cadaver dissection at the University of Otago, Dunedin campus.
Applications for 2021 will open on 1 October 2020, and close on 31 October 2020.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Surgical Anatomy is a one-year programme providing instruction in clinically relevant anatomy to registered medical practitioners or those with an equivalent overseas qualification.
It has received accreditation from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
The programme focuses on anatomy relevant to surgical approaches, pathology, surgical procedures, and surgical complications.
• Open to junior doctors
• 24 weeks online distance learning
• x2 two-week campus-based tuition in the Department of Anatomy, University of Otago, Dunedin campus
• Taught by clinical anatomists with surgical backgrounds and interests in anatomy education, together with practicing surgeons and consultant radiologists.
• Cadaver dissection - a combination of targeted dissections of generic interest and free dissection for candidates wishing to investigate subspeciality-specific areas of interest.
• Ultrasound tuition
• Excellent facilities – the W.D. Trotter Anatomy Museum houses more than 2,000 anatomical specimens, radiographs and models. The Department has an active Clinical Anatomy research programme and excellent links with surgeons and radiologists at Dunedin Public Hospital.
• RACS accredited
The diploma comprises four papers:
SUAN 701 - Upper Limb and Thorax
SUAN 702 - Lower Limb and Pelvis
SUAN 703 - Abdomen and Neck
SUAN 704 - Head, Spine, Basic Neuroanatomy, and Skin.
The diploma is taught in two semesters – each comprises 12 weeks of online distance learning and two weeks of campus-based tuition in the Department of Anatomy. Distance-learning is self-directed and involves a weekly commitment to cover selected readings and answer test questions.
The campus-based learning is a structured programme of cadaveric dissections, hands-on tutorials, lectures, and surgical and radiologic anatomy talks delivered by specialists.
It is important for you to consider your other commitments carefully to ensure you will have sufficient time each week to devote to this course.
Dates for 2021
Dates for 2021 have not yet been set.
Candidates will be expected to complete a literature-based research essay on a specific topic within each 12 week distance learning period. Assessment during each campus-based block comprises mastery tests; oral (viva) exams; an oral presentation; and a final examination.
For further information contact email@example.com