This page features research stories from the Otago Department of Biochemistry to help you learn about what biochemistry is, and what we use biochemistry for.
We have also included other resources that may be useful for high school biology students, including biochemistry-related career advice, models of molecules to print in 3D, and links to other science resource websites.
What do we do in the Biochemistry Department?
Some of our scientists explain their research in these videos filmed in laboratories around the department.
More stories about Otago Biochemistry research
Many of our research stories have been featured in video, audio and print media in New Zealand and internationally. We also explain some of our research on our research blog.
I enjoy Biology - what career should I choose, and how do I get there?
Explore careers that a degree in Biochemistry can lead to, and read career stories from ex-Biochemistry students and advice on what you should take to prepare for Biochemistry.
Print 3D models of proteins and other bio-molecules
Find out what proteins and DNA actually look like, and how they work, by printing out models in 3D.
Visit the Department of Biochemistry
We regularly host visits from high school classes keen to gain hands-on experience of biochemistry in the lab.
For more information about classes visiting the Department of Biochemistry, please email: email@example.com
Other useful resources
- PDB-101 - Learn about the diverse shapes and functions of proteins and nucleic acids to understand biomedicine and agriculture, from protein synthesis to health and disease to biological energy.
- Science Learning Hub - New Zealand multimedia science education resources, collected by topic and concept, and based at the University of Waikato
- Learn.Genetics - Genetic science learning centre based at the University of Utah
- TED Ed Life Sciences - Video lessons built around TED talks on life science topics
- Profiles of NZ women in science - Provided by Curious Minds, a New Zealand Government initiative to encourage engagement with science and technology
- Pass NCEA Biology - A learning hub providing resources and notes to help study for NCEA Biology standards levels 1-3
- WEHI.TV - Animated movies explaining concepts in molecular biology and medical research
- Discover the science of HIV - Amazing animation of how HIV infection happens, based on the actual science
Contact us if you have any suggestions to improve or add to these resource pages at firstname.lastname@example.org.