Biochemistry (BIOC) papers offered to undergraduate students cover a wide range of topics including:
|Cell biology and signalling||Genetics and DNA|
|Plant biochemistry||Structure and function of molecules|
|Enzymology||Proteins and membranes|
|Microbiology and viruses||Disease mechanisms|
The biochemistry course has a broad first year, moving on to more detailed papers in the second and third years. Teaching involves a combination of lectures and practical sessions in laboratories.
Because biochemistry covers the spectrum of life from bacteria and viruses through to plants and humans, it underpins other life sciences such as Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology, and Botany, as well as being a foundation subject for all the Health Sciences.
In addition to the papers listed below, you can choose to add combinations of Anatomy, Botany, Chemistry, Genetics, Human Nutrition, Mathematics & Statistics, Microbiology, Physiology, Pharmacy, and Philosophy papers, depending on your personal interests and career path choice. Biochemistry is also a good choice as a minor subject in degrees in any of these subjects.
For specific queries on biochemistry-related course advice, please email email@example.com.
- BIOC 221 Molecular Biology
- BIOC 222 Proteins in Industry and Medicine
- BIOC 223 Cellular Biochemistry and Metabolism
- BIOC 351 Advanced Protein Biochemistry
- BIOC 352 Advanced Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics
- BIOC 353 Molecular Basis of Health and Disease
- BIOC 360 Research Perspectives in Biochemistry