Research topics are working descriptions ≤ 140 characters in length (i.e. a tweet-length description).
- Research topic: Understanding the work of clinician-patient interactions in psychiatry - exploring the philosophical & ethical thinking underlying therapeutic relationships.
- Supervisors: Grant Gillett, Neil Pickering
- Email: email@example.com
- Previous qualifications: BSc (Hons) (Psychology) Southampton University, PGDip (Mental Health Studies) Southampton University
- Research Topic: Physician integrity when faced with ethically challenging situations in the sporting environment.
- Supervisors: Lynley Anderson, Neil Pickering
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Previous qualifications: MB ChB, B.PhEd, Dip.Obst, DipSportsMed, MHealSc.
- Research Topic: Adolescent use of and access to long acting reversible contraceptives in New Zealand.
- Supervisors: Helen Paterson (Women’s & Children’s Health), Lynley Anderson, Neil Pickering
- Email: email@example.com
- Qualification in progress: MB ChB
- Research topic: 2017 Edgecumbe Flood: Perceptions of emergency response from companion animal owners and emergency responders.
- Supervisors: Peter Walker (Social Work), Mike King, Marcelo Rodriguez Ferrere (Faculty of Law)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Previous qualifications: MEmergMgt (Charles Sturt), PGDipEmergMgt (Massey), PGCPM (Victoria University Wellington, GCTSS (Charles Sturt)
- Research topic: Establishing a value-free definition of mental illness and considering what, if anything, this tells us about the treatment of mental illness.
- Supervisors: Neil Pickering, John McMillan
- Email: email@example.com
- Previous qualifications: LLB, BA (Hons), MA, MBHL.
- Research topic: Palliative Care and the role of family in the Chinese socio-cultural context: An ethical and sociological study.
- Supervisors: Jing-Bao Nie, Simon Walker
- Previous Qualifications: BA, Masters (Peking Union Medical College).
- Research topic: The role of acupuncture as an adjunct to primary care for mild to moderate mood disorders.
- Supervisors: Tony Dowell (Primary Health Care and General Practice), Jing-Bao Nie.
- Previous Qualifications: PGCertHealSc(Otago), MHealSc (UTS, Sydney)
- Research topic: Moral Plurality in a Transplanting World: A Comparative Study between China and New Zealand
- Supervisors: Jing-Bao Nie, Ruth Fitzgerald (Department of Anthropology and Archaeology)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Previous qualifications: MA, Sun Yat-sen University, BA (Sociology) Heilongjiang University.
- Research topic: Just Enough: Selective and explicit access to health care - an emerging ‘just enough’ social contract?
- Supervisors: Neil Pickering, John McMillan
Previous qualifications: PGDipHealSc(Bitc) (Otago), Diploma in Management (Auckland)
- Research topic: Student nurses perspectives on the use of gallows humour in the clinical setting.
- Supervisors: Neil Pickering, Lynley Anderson
- Previous qualifications: PGDipHealSc(Bitc) (Otago), Diploma in Nursing (Fanshawe, Canada).
- Research topic: The effects of telehealth medicine on the doctor-patient relationship
- Supervisors: Angela Ballantyne, Paul Roth (Faculty of Law, Otago)
- Research topic: The inadequacies of current concussion management and the need for innovative ethical and legal action.
- Supervisors: Lynley Anderson, Maria Hook (Faculty of Law, Otago)
- Research topic: Can women be subjected to compulsory treatment for the prevention of alcohol abuse during pregnancy?
- Supervisors: Simon Walker, Nicola Peart (Faculty of Law, Otago)
- Research Topic: Addressing Diversity in New Zealand’s Precision Driven Health Initiative: An Ethical and Legal Perspective.
- Supervisors: Jing-Bao Nie, Colin Gavaghan (Faculty of Law, Otago).
- Research topic: How family violence dynamics impact health care decisions for children in New Zealand’s legislative context .
- Supervisors: Mike King (for Nikki Kerruish), Mark Henaghan (Faculty of Law, Otago).
- Research topic: Pregnant and not quite dead: ethical and legal considerations of maintaining a brain-dead pregnant woman on life support.
- Supervisors: John McMillan, Nicola Peart (Faculty of Law, Otago).
- Research topic: Child Protection: A case study of information sharing in New Zealand between Oranga Tamariki, Police and District Health Boards.
- Supervisors: Mike King, Mark Henaghan (Faculty of Law, Otago)
- Research topic: Keeping up with CRISPR: The ethical regularity of Gene Editing.
- Supervisors: John McMillan, Colin Gavaghan (Faculty of Law, Otago).
- Research topic: Direct to consumer genetic testing results and disclosure to health insurers: favouritism, wellbeing and fairness.
- Supervisors: Mike King, Jesse Wall (Faculty of Law, Otago).
Sinéad Ni Dhonnghaile
- Research Topic: The experiences of first and second year doctors of ethical issues at the end of life.
- Supervisors: Lynley Anderson, Simon Walker
Finn Whittington (2018)
- Research Topic: The role of empathy in moral judgement in the light of integrated moral cognition
- Supervisors: Simon Walker, Neil Pickering, Liz Franz (Psychology)
Andy MacLachlan (2017)
- Research Topic: Adolescent autonomy revisited.
- Supervisors: Simon Walker, John McMillan, Ben Wheeler (Women's & Children's Health)