There are many reasons to study business at the University of Otago, but in the end it comes down to one thing: a high quality education that will enable you to achieve your career goals.
Best of the best
The Otago Business School has a reputation for excellence in research and teaching. We offer a wide range of study options, from undergraduate to executive level. We also hold international accreditation with two agencies, affirming the quality and relevance of our programmes in the global arena, as well as:
- Based on recent research 95% of Otago Business School students are satisfied with their course and quality of study. (2018 Otago Graduate Opinion Survey)
- The School is one of only five centres of excellence in the world and the only one in the Pacific region
- We are New Zealand's leading business school for research (PBRF Quality Evaluation 2018). Many of our departments are also leaders in their study area – Management, Information Science, Marketing, Tourism, Economics, and Accountancy and Finance.
- Our MBA is ranked #1 in New Zealand and it is the only New Zealand university ranked in QS 2019 global MBA rankings (QS Online MBA rankings 2019 #13, CEO Magazine Global Online MBA Rankings 2019 #3, QS Global MBA Rankings 2019 Top NZ MBA)
- The Otago Business School is accredited by two leading international organisations: EQUIS and AACSB.
Still need convincing?
Here are some other reasons why studying Business at Otago is a great choice:
- Excellence in research and teaching
- A programme to suit any aspiration
- Opportunities to strengthen your degree
- International accreditation
- Legendary campus life at Otago
- Affordability of living in Dunedin
- Student resources, services and support
- Career planning
Top global ranking
The University of Otago is ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world, and has the highest-possible rating of 5 Stars Plus in the QS global university performance ratings.1
Outstanding graduate employability
Employers love Otago graduates. 95% of our graduates go straight into work or further study.2
Otago graduates are recognised for their interpersonal and negotiating skills, conceptual and analytical skills, and independent judgement.
The University of Otago is New Zealand’s top university for educational performance.3
For 6 of the past 7 years, our teachers have beaten all other universities and polytechnics to win the Prime Minister’s Supreme Award for Teaching Excellence.4
At Otago, you’ll be taught by lecturers and professors who are some of the best in New Zealand, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the very best in the world.
The University of Otago’s Central Library (one of nine libraries at Otago) is ranked 13th best library in the world.5
Our Dunedin campus is recognised as one of the world’s 15 most-beautiful campuses.6
We also have genuinely world-class teaching and research labs, performance spaces, lecture theatres, study areas, and sporting facilities.
Extremely high student satisfaction
Student surveys show 98% satisfaction with administration and support; 98% with campus safety; 99% with libraries; 98% with residential colleges; and 97% with sport and recreation facilities.
Sustainability and positive social impact
Otago is the first university in New Zealand to achieve Fair Trade status.7
Our Social Impact Studio achieves student-driven change through volunteering and leadership. We believe in channelling student creativity, vision, and insight for maximum social impact through our incredible volunteer programmes. Around 4,000 Otago students are registered volunteers, working with over 200 community organisations.
Unmatched student experience
In addition to being an international centre of academic excellence, Otago is New Zealand’s only true residential university. This gives you a student lifestyle that is unparalleled in New Zealand.
85% of our students come from outside Dunedin (including 3,000 international students from 100 countries).
3,500 of our first-year students live at one of 15 residential colleges, located on or near campus.
Most of our 21,000 students live within 1 km of the Dunedin campus – creating our iconic student quarter that features academic, cultural, social, and sporting facilities, just a short walk from the Dunedin city centre.
Being a residential university, Otago offers dozens of dedicated on-campus support services. These range from our modern student health centre (with subsidised medical and counselling services), to a superb disability support service, specialised IT support, and a careers service to prepare you for the graduate job market.
And at Otago, there are over 140 student clubs and societies to choose from.
All in one of New Zealand’s most beautiful and vibrant cities.
Learn more about studying at the University of Otago
The future students website has in-depth information:
References: 1. QS World University Rankings and QS Stars Rating. 2. Graduate Opinion Survey. 3. Tertiary Education Commission Educational Performance Indicators. 4. 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012. 5. BuzzFeed. 6. The Telegraph, HuffPost. 7. Fairtrade New Zealand.