CARE Director: Associate Professor Debra Waters
Associate Professor Debra Waters is the Director of Gerontology Research at the University of Otago. This is a collaborative appointment between the Dunedin School of Medicine, Department of Medicine and the School of Physiotherapy. She is also the South Island Executive Representative for New Zealand Association of Gerontology. Debra is also on the Management Directorate of the Ageing Well National Science Challenge. Debra's research interests include:
- Determinants and prevalence of sarcopenia and sarcopenic-obesity
- Impact of sarcopenia and sarcopenic-obesity on physical function
- Community-based exercise interventions to maintain physical function during ageing
CARE Deputy Director: Dr Fiona Doolan-Noble
Her key areas of expertise are in the development and evaluation of programmes to meet the needs of those with long-term conditions.
Her research interests are:
- Preventive care
- How health systems meet the needs of those with long term conditions
- The role of the lay health navigators in improving access to health care
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- The role of the patient in health system design and quality improvement
- Generating and sustaining change in primary health care
Fiona recently completed her PhD which looks at the beliefs, attitudes, knowledge and practices of general practitioners and practices nurses regarding obesity and how that impacts on the health care experiences of New Zealand men who are significantly overweight.