Discover the world of work and job opportunities
Each year employers visit the University of Otago to talk about their work and the opportunities their business or organisation has to offer. In addition, the Career Development Centre offers a series of seminars and workshops throughout the year to help students develop job search skills.
Gain the opportunity to:
- Meet face-to-face with prospective employers
- Find out about graduate-level job openings and internships
- Know what employers look for in graduates – what are their preferred skills and attributes?
- Network – Career expos and presentations are great places to start your professional network
- Become acquainted with companies' culture and values – would you fit in?
- Clarify your career objectives – is this the kind of industry/sector you want to work in?
- Help with your choice of study – what subjects are these employers interested in? Do they have subject preferences?
It's convenient! You can do all of the above without leaving campus, and it's FREE!
Make the most of Graduate Recruitment events
1. Register with OtagoCareerHub – once you have registered, always keep your contact details up-to-date, especially your email address.
2. Keep your eyes open for events
- Log into OtagoCareerHub regularly to keep up with events, jobs and messages
- Check your student email account – direct emails are sent on behalf of employers via the Career Development Centre
- Attend Career expos and employer presentations
- Attend Career Development Centre seminars and workshops
3. By the time you leave Otago make sure you know:
- How to put together a top quality job application (CV and cover letter)
- How to successfully conduct a job interview
- How to network effectively
- How to present yourself professionally to prospective employers
Otago's Career Expos
Career expos provide excellent opportunities for students to meet face-to-face with employers and find out about job opportunities.
2022 Business & Law Expo
Monday, 7 March, 11:00am–2:00pm, The Link
2022 Science & Technology Expo
Tuesday, 17 May, 11:00am–2:00pm, The Link
2022 Public Sector & Not-for-profit Expo
Wednesday, 17 August, 11:00am–2:00pm, Main Common Room, Student Union Building
2022 Summer Jobs & Beyond Expo
Wednesday, 14 September, 11:00am–2:00pm, The Link
The Career Development Centre runs seminars and workshops throughout each semester to help you with your job search and applications.
The seminars begin in early March.
Employer presentations and information sessions
Find out about particular companies, their cultures and what they look for in graduates from senior executives, Human Resource Managers, and recent graduates available to share their experiences.
All students are welcome at employer presentations, which are usually held at lunchtime or in the evening.
First and second year students find the presentations useful for planning their course of study and career direction. Final year students and graduates can apply for current vacancies within companies.
A number of employers and organisations offer studentships or internships over the summer break. These are paid work opportunities that are related to your degree and are available to students in their penultimate year. The University of Otago advertises internships within academic departments and on OtagoCareerHub, or you can find your own!