Follow the steps in our guide to create a powerful CV. This guide will help you make the most of your time in a CV consultation with us – and ultimately help you submit an application to suit the opportunity.
Make sure you have completed steps 1 and 2 of the CV writing process first.
From start to finish of your CV
Drafting your CV is made easy with the help of this step-by-step guide. Complete each step carefully to make sure that your CV 'sells' your best qualities, skills and experience.
The 11 steps to preparing a high quality CV
- Prepare for writing your CV: the modern CV must be targeted, relevant and precise
- Organise your CV information: organise all the material you have prepared into categories
- Format your CV: the best way to present your CV
- Insert personal/contact details: communicating basic information, and establishing your style
- List qualifications/education: laying out your qualifications and educational history
- Match your skills to the employer's needs: matching your skills to a prospective employer’s needs
- Present your work history: reinforce the valuable skills you have put into practice or developed through previous employment
- List your interests and activities: demonstrate how ‘well rounded’ you are as a person
- List your referees: a way for prospective employers to verify the history, skills and qualities you put forward in your CV
- Add optional sections: depending on the job, these sections may add real value
- Target your CV to meet the employer's needs: does your CV follow a ‘top-to-bottom’ hierarchy and meet the prospective employer’s needs?