Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Frequently asked questions: Postgraduate study

Does the Centre supervise students?

The Centre mainly focuses on Postgraduate teaching. Our staff supervise both Masters and PhD students. We host students closely aligned with our research projects but also co-supervise with staff from throughout the University.

Who should I talk to if I want to do Postgraduate research at the Centre?

If you have a particular area of interest, contact the researchers in that area directly by email.  Include a covering letter with a little information about your background, the topic you are interested in studying and a copy of your CV including academic transcripts.
They will advise if they have the right background to supervise you and if they are available to take on new students.

Do you offer any scholarships?

A few of our research projects have Masters & PhD scholarships available. If available, these are usually advertised in the News section of our website.

The University of Otago Scholarships Office also offer a large range of scholarships suitable for domestic and international students.

What research funding is available for students?

If you are enrolled as a student at the Centre, some funding is available annually to cover your project costs. This should be discussed with your supervisors and the level of support agreed on at the start of your project.

What facilities do you offer postgraduate students?

Postgraduate students at the Centre are allocated a desk space, a computer (if needed), internet access and printing. We do not have laboratories or significant equipment on-site, but can negotiate access to facilities you need through our collaborations with other Departments at the University. We collaborate with Departments such as Geography, Marine Science, Zoology, Botany, Physics, Surveying, Economics and Marketing. Please discuss any particular lab or equipment needs with your potential supervisor.

What support do you offer postgraduate students?

We have a staff member whose role is to support and mentor Postgraduate students. The current postgraduate support person is Emeritus Professor Colin Campbell-Hunt.  If you have any questions, please contact him directly. 
Our Postgraduate Student Representative can also raise student issues on your behalf. The current representative is Gilles Marciniak.  If you have any questions about life at the Centre from a student’s perspective, please contact him directly.

What is the culture of the Centre like for students?

We host a wide range of staff and students from throughout the world. We are small but very friendly and inclusive in our work and hold regular social events where staff and students mix freely. 

For more info on enrolling at Otago, please visit the University of Otago website. The website also contains information on life in Dunedin.