MHealthSc (Otago), PG DipHealSc (Addictions and Co-existing Disorders)(Dist)(Otago), PG DipHealSc(Interpersonal Psychotherapy)(Dist)(Otago), BN (NMIT), Cert. Adult Teaching (NMIT), RN
Tel +64 3 364 3861
Virginia Maskill joined the Centre for Postgraduate Nursing Studies at the University of Otago, Christchurch in 2009. Virginia also held a position in the Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Otago, Christchurch from 2006 -2016.
- Rural Nursing workforce
- Long-term condition management
- Mental health and Substance use disorders
- Sociological approaches to illness and self management practices
Virginia is currently completing a PhD exploring how Type II diabetes mellitus and other comorbidity impacts self-identity and in turn self-management practices.
Teaching Responsibility 2017
- NURS413 Primary Health Care Nursing Rural/Urban
- NURS431 Rural Nursing
- Masters students
- Virginia is currently supervising one Masters and three Dissertation students, and has previously supervised three Masters theses students, and 24 Dissertation students to successful completion
- Enquiries are welcome from students looking to undertake a Masters or Dissertation in the following topics:
- Long term condition management and self-management
- Rural nursing
- Mental health and Substance Use nursing practice
- Member of the Rural Health Plan Working Group for the future development of rural health, Division of Health Sciences, University of Otago – current.
- Reviewer for Journal of Advanced Nursing (ISSN: 1365-2648) 2017 – current
- Member of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors 2001 – current
- Member of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners of Aoteoroa New Zealand. 2002 - current